Harvest Data report

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
When are the harvest data reports released? How accurate do you feel they are? I know I was not contacted on my last 4 tags 2 in 2018 and 2 in 2020. My son was not contacted on either of his 2 tags in 2018. Just wondering about others thoughts.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Without a mandatory harvest report, the data is just a "scientific wild ass guess" or SWAG. Better than a WAG maybe, but not much. Minnesota has a good system for deer, you just call in after the kill, and you are immediately given a harvest number to put on the carcass tag. I'm sure that some don't do it, but the numbers would be very close. I did get a harvest survey for my 2020 WY deer hunt.

Reactions: HuskyMusky

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
California has a system of mandatory return of big game tags. All tagholders must return the tags to be eligible for the next drawing. They get all the verified kills that way. Not so sure that is the best system, just another way of keeping California hunters under the state's thumb.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
I think New Mexico has gone to a mandatory system as well. Arkansas has a 12 hour required check system for all deer and bear. That is a pain in the rear if you camp and hunt an area with no cell service. And yes Arkansas has a lot of public land in areas with out service.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Imo, the best way to gauge herd status/population is to wait to see the quotas. If you see tag numbers trending down by a percentage, it is likely the herd was that much smaller than the previous year on the winter range.

I received a survey this year for 2 of my 3 tags - above what I have seen in the past.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I wish states would do what GA does. In conjunction to the paper tags and make you electronically check your animal from your smart phone. (You dont need cell service to enter the data and it uploads when you get service)

I am not saying that there still are not scumbags shooting more than what they are allowed, but it is about as good as you can get and at the end of the season (And during) there is an instant count of deer killed. I have NO CLUE why other states do not impliment this to their big game program.....

I can tell you for free that if you know what your looking at you can see EXACTLY when the rut is happening in any given county...The buck kills for about a week straight are much higher...and in the three counties I hunt I can vet that those dates truly are the best dates to hunt for rutting deer.

Also, ya better not get caught with a deer you dont have validated. Its not good for your future participation in hunting the state. lol

Check out Hancock county GA and tell me when you think the rut is happening...lol

I will give you a hint:

https://gadnrwrd.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/a8c09f55918b41e7af6e54abf1dc3a1c

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
When are the harvest data reports released? How accurate do you feel they are? I know I was not contacted on my last 4 tags 2 in 2018 and 2 in 2020. My son was not contacted on either of his 2 tags in 2018. Just wondering about others thoughts.
Thats interesting, I get multiple emails, giant packets for each species and usually end up filling it out.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

DoubleDropMuley

Apr 18, 2020
How did you manage this perfect record?! o_O
Well not how I had the season pictured but with life events didn’t get much time in the hills, so I’ll just put it behind me and get ready for 2021!! Be starting to apply here in a few days 🙏 I’ll consider 2020 my best donation year to G&F ever 😄

Reactions: Bonecollector

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Residents do not want mandatory reporting or animal check in, just the way it is. Most are fairly accurate on their surveys, always going to be those few though who could care less if what they report is accurate.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I remember when they first started to divide California up into all the units like there are today, lots of people flat lied on their reports to screw up the kill data. Back them, everyone hated the way the state was divided up and seasons shortened.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Residents do not want mandatory reporting or animal check in, just the way it is. Most are fairly accurate on their surveys, always going to be those few though who could care less if what they report is accurate.
I am guessing residents in Wyoming would be fine with mandatory reporting if the system was easy and it worked. Most residents I know currently have little faith in the accuracy of what is being used. That leads to complacency even with the guys who really try to do the right thing.

I personally really don't care about harvest stats. I am much more interested in spring winter range counts.

Reactions: DH56 and BuzzH

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I am guessing residents in Wyoming would be fine with mandatory reporting if the system was easy and it worked. Most residents I know currently have little faith in the accuracy of what is being used. That leads to complacency even with the guys who really try to do the right thing.

I personally really don't care about harvest stats. I am much more interested in spring winter range counts.
Yup, you nailed it there IMO. Roadkill numbers are also one that is very telling to me as well, those numbers in winter can have VERY costly effects on isolated populations. Especially since it tends to be the young that get hammered on the roads. One bad stretch of roads in the winter knocks out a large segment of the population and that turn things for the worse.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
I've heard strong support for mandatory harvest reporting at the various meetings I've attended in Wyoming when the topic comes up.

I don't really know about the mandatory part, but with technology what it is today, I don't see where it would be too expensive, difficult, or time consuming to ask about harvest via email for all those that supply their email addresses.

I don't recall ever NOT being asked either via email or snail mail, for the last 20 years on every tag I've had in Wyoming. I've always filled out the information accurately. Literally takes 5 minutes of my time and well worth the effort.

We ask the GF to manage better, and then some refuse to participate as if they're proving a point by providing false information or being too busy to help out? What point are you proving?

Makes no sense to me.

Reactions: D_Dubya

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I've heard strong support for mandatory harvest reporting at the various meetings I've attended in Wyoming when the topic comes up.

I don't really know about the mandatory part, but with technology what it is today, I don't see where it would be too expensive, difficult, or time consuming to ask about harvest via email for all those that supply their email addresses.

I don't recall ever NOT being asked either via email or snail mail, for the last 20 years on every tag I've had in Wyoming. I've always filled out the information accurately. Literally takes 5 minutes of my time and well worth the effort.

We ask the GF to manage better, and then some refuse to participate as if they're proving a point by providing false information or being too busy to help out? What point are you proving?

Makes no sense to me.
If there ever was a time for it, especially with so many people applying in other states that require it, not too tough of a pill to swallow. The people at the cash registers will be the ones who end up dealing with the crazy from someone who doesn't pay attention and can't buy their general tag until they fill it out.