Hammonds pardoned

AT Hiker

Very Active Member
Aug 2, 2012
Tennessee
Thoughts? I believe a commuted sentence would have been more fitting, these fools still broke the law.
Not to get to far down the legal lingo rabbit hole but will this pardon mean expunged records for the Hammonds? I read a article about the Mississippi Supreme Court upholding the refusal to expunge a former felony after a drug maker was pardoned.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ny-pol-trump-pardons-ranchers-bundy-hammond-oregon-20180710-story.html

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HighPlainsHunter

Mar 1, 2018
Laramie
Witnesses at trial, including a relative of the Hammonds, testified the arson occurred shortly after Steven Hammond and his hunting party illegally slaughtered several deer on BLM property. Jurors were told that Steven Hammond handed out ‘Strike Anywhere’ matches with instructions that they be lit and dropped on the ground because they were going to ‘light up the whole country on fire.’ One witness testified that he barely escaped the eight to ten foot high flames caused by the arson. The fire consumed 139 acres of public land and destroyed all evidence of the game violations. After committing the arson, Steven Hammond called the BLM office in Burns, Oregon and claimed the fire was started on Hammond property to burn off invasive species and had inadvertently burned onto public lands. Dwight and Steven Hammond told one of their relatives to keep his mouth shut and that nobody needed to know about the fire.

lucky guy

Mar 10, 2014
Witnesses at trial, including a relative of the Hammonds, testified the arson occurred shortly after Steven Hammond and his hunting party illegally slaughtered several deer on BLM property. Jurors were told that Steven Hammond handed out ?Strike Anywhere? matches with instructions that they be lit and dropped on the ground because they were going to ?light up the whole country on fire.? One witness testified that he barely escaped the eight to ten foot high flames caused by the arson. The fire consumed 139 acres of public land and destroyed all evidence of the game violations. After committing the arson, Steven Hammond called the BLM office in Burns, Oregon and claimed the fire was started on Hammond property to burn off invasive species and had inadvertently burned onto public lands. Dwight and Steven Hammond told one of their relatives to keep his mouth shut and that nobody needed to know about the fire.
Later, they set "back fires" fires one night below a ridge with smoke jumpers camped above, and didn't bother to tell anybody. Lucky they didn't hurt or kill somebody.

Real model citizens worthy of a presidential pardon eh?

And let's not forget that they graze about 60,000 acres of blm land at "subsidized" rates shall we say, about 10% of market. Did we hear a thank you for all those years of publlic subsidy?

Well, they used to anyway. They've been thrown off it for the last 4 years.

Last edited:

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Plains and lucky too bad you drank the coolaid put out by the last administration. The pardon was made because they served one sentence the were resentenced to more time. Hard to camp on a ridge in a flat marsh and there was never any wildlife charges the carp and coots folks were upset because they tried to close a county road and lost in court . Then the harassment started .

HighPlainsHunter

Mar 1, 2018
Laramie
Plains and lucky too bad you drank the coolaid put out by the last administration. The pardon was made because they served one sentence the were resentenced to more time. Hard to camp on a ridge in a flat marsh and there was never any wildlife charges the carp and coots folks were upset because they tried to close a county road and lost in court . Then the harassment started .
I did not drink any cool aid, but nice try to make a conversation about these folks personal.

I simply quoted an article about them. If you feel differently go for it. But save you cool aid talk and personal chatter for some place else.

dustin ray

Veteran member
Oct 23, 2011
Alta Loma CA
I did not drink any cool aid, but nice try to make a conversation about these folks personal.

I simply quoted an article about them. If you feel differently go for it. But save you cool aid talk and personal chatter for some place else.
yes i fill your pain i once to quoted an article on this forum was razzed by some

dustin ray

Veteran member
Oct 23, 2011
Alta Loma CA
The feds have been screwing with western ranchers for years and Obamas goons turned up the heat
there is a lot of twisted stories out there im sure Trump got the true story

AT Hiker

Very Active Member
Aug 2, 2012
Tennessee
So the court conviction of them poaching Deer and burning the evidence was perpetrated by the Obama administration?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
What I know and recall. They were harassed for years because the Feds wanted their land to expand the Malhuer Wildlife Refuge. Quite harshly. Then they made a mistake, maybe poached and the fire. It's instructive to know the first judge found the manditory sentence outrageous, way too much. Gave them a lighter one. I think he had it right. Then an "Obama Supporter" in the Fed system, some level of atty., went back to court, got the light sentence overturned and the harsh one reapplied.

For me, they have already served more time than needed, 3 and 4 years each iirc, and paid 400k in fines. I'd have given them the full state poaching penalty if that could be proven, fined fire fighting costs, and added a fine if the cost was not over 25k so it cost them at least that much.

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. I do remember seeing the video where the feds shot and killed the one guy. It was appalling...reminded me of Ruby Ridge.

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Only convection was for destruction of goverment property, they set back fires on their land to protect the ranch from a wildfire and it burned onto the refuge. The question was if they had permission to do so and it was like 100 acres out out a 15000 acre fire. Lots of preasure to sell for years and harassment by the feds to force them out as they did others.
So ask your self do we really need a 25000 acre waterfowl refuge in the dessert?
This is about controll

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
I like the move personally
You like the idea of the President giving a full pardon to some ranchers that were found guilty of felonies by a jury of their peers? Ranchers who think they own BLM lands, poachers who shot 7 deer on BLM ground and then started a fire to cover up their crime. Trump made a horrendous blunder here by pardoning these criminals IMO. He made it OK to take up arms against the Government if you happen to be a rancher.

lostinOregon

Mar 12, 2013
Canby OR
That 25,000 acre waterfowl refuge as you call it, is about the last public land in eastern Oregon that their are truly large mule deer left. It is not just for the birds.

Rich

hoshour

Veteran member
Witnesses at trial, including a relative of the Hammonds, testified the arson occurred shortly after Steven Hammond and his hunting party illegally slaughtered several deer on BLM property. Jurors were told that Steven Hammond handed out ?Strike Anywhere? matches with instructions that they be lit and dropped on the ground because they were going to ?light up the whole country on fire.? One witness testified that he barely escaped the eight to ten foot high flames caused by the arson. The fire consumed 139 acres of public land and destroyed all evidence of the game violations. After committing the arson, Steven Hammond called the BLM office in Burns, Oregon and claimed the fire was started on Hammond property to burn off invasive species and had inadvertently burned onto public lands. Dwight and Steven Hammond told one of their relatives to keep his mouth shut and that nobody needed to know about the fire.
I was not aware of that testimony, but it is pretty damning if it's true. The WSJ had an op-ed piece today in which they cited the pressure from the feds to drive out private landowners in order to set up a bird sanctuary.

It also related how the Obama administration, when they didn't like the sentence of the first judge, appealed the case and a different judge handed out prison sentences.

That's what scares me - the kind of vindictive power the Obama administration exercised in many different instances that are still coming to light. That and the growing hatred I see all around us for people with different views than one's own fanned by the TV networks' desire to air the most angry people they can find is a cancer that is eating up our nation and is making free speech and politically incorrect views increasingly dangerous.

Last edited:

brushcreek

Apr 4, 2013
Arkansas
You like the idea of the President giving a full pardon to some ranchers that were found guilty of felonies by a jury of their peers? Ranchers who think they own BLM lands, poachers who shot 7 deer on BLM ground and then started a fire to cover up their crime. Trump made a horrendous blunder here by pardoning these criminals IMO. He made it OK to take up arms against the Government if you happen to be a rancher.

you need to do a little more research on this case