Gun Cases?

lukew

Administrator
Jul 1, 2019
Hey guys! Are any of you running a pelican rifle case? Just got one and love it! I did a durability test with it.

Reactions: ScottR

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I have a old aluminum Cabela's case that I bought over 30 years ago. It survived the gorillas that they use for baggage handlers in South Africa on one trip and I'll take it back next year.

I just wished that it had rollers on it.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I have a pelican case I travel with. Its pretty tough. TSA jerk-wads put 10 super nice deep scratches on it during my trip to Maine.....looks like it got stuck in the landing gear...

ALSO TAKE NOTE TO PEOPLE FLYING:

Anyone flying with a gun case better make sure to put 2 locks on their case.....they made me buy pad locks from their gift shop to my on the case because they said "We can get the guns out of there. I looked right at them and asked them to try....because I would like to see it....He then pulled me aside and said he argued with "his boss" for me but he wasn't having it so if I wanted to take guns with me I had better get the locks...I could literally cut the $15 locks they sold me with my leatherman with 1 hand operating the tool...lol

Last edited:
Reactions: sneakypete

lukew

Administrator
Jul 1, 2019
I have a pelican case I travel with. Its pretty tough. TSA jerk-wads put 10 super nice deep scratches on it during my trip to Maine.....looks like it got stuck in the landing gear...

ALSO TAKE NOT TO PEOPLE FLYING:

Anyone flying with a gun case better make sure to put 2 locks on their case.....they made me buy pad locks from their gift shop to my on the case because they said "We can get the guns out of there. I looked right at them and asked them to try....because I would like to see it....He then pulled me aside and said he argued with "his boss" for me but he wasn't having it so if I wanted to take guns with me I had better get the locks...I could literally cut the $15 locks the sold me with my leatherman with 1 hand operating the tool...lol
That's good to know! I am going to be going some traveling with it this year. Thanks for the heads up!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I would check on the requirement that 2 locks are needed. I looked at the TSA web site and it does not mention anything about requiring 2 locks on the case.

When I went over to Africa they didn't say a thing about 2 locks, granted that was 5 years ago and things change but that is why I checked the TSA web site.

One thing in the locks, DO NOT use TSA locks. The owner of the gun case should be the only person that can open the case once it has been inspected at check in.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I have a pelican double rifle case I use when I travel. I went with a double case so I can take a backup. I love it.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I couldn't afford the Pelican when I bought my case so I got the one Harbor Freight sells. To be honest it's pretty decent.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I feel bad for the Elk because without the supplemental feeding, I fear there will be enough natural food for the elk to eat to survive the winter. Combine this with the way "we" utilize the lands surrounding these feed grounds (Cattle graze them off all summer, housing being built, fences, ect ect.) and its really not in their favor. These elk have become creatures of habit relying on this feed for the last 100 years.

Not a good situation. Either way, I dont have any say in it but it is a double edged sword for sure.

They used to have turkey feeding programs all over the mountains of PA back in the day (60,s 70's, 80's) when they had their big stocking programs. I remember seeing the corn feeders when I was young. They are almost all gone now just some remnants here and there of the old feeders. They ended the feeding program. Turkeys eventually stopped relying on them and moved to their natural patterns. But this isnt really comparing animals to animals.
How did we go from gun cases to winter feeding?
Better lay off the peyote dude😃

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
I have an old Cabelas one as well. Has held up pretty good over the years, has some dents and scratches on it. I’m always nervous about my guns while flying. Too many idiots throwing your stuff around. Years ago, my dad and his buddy were going to B.C. On a spring bear hunt. When his buddy picked his gun up a the luggage claim, his gun case had what looked like forks from a fork lift stabbed through it!!! Broke his weatherby in half. They think it happened at Vancouver, lot of antis there. The airline would not take responsibility for it.

Reactions: lukew

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I don't even know what brand my hard sided gun case is, but it hasn't failed me yet. I bought it with Sportsman's Warehouse giftcards about 10 years ago.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
locks

tsa and the border guards are very similar in that, it is what they want, not necasarily what the regs state.
Do you argue with them or just go with it. Done both at the border, you better know what you are talking about!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
When I went into Canada on my bear hunt the Canadian customs agent tore my truck apart looking for something that wasn't there. They managed to dump my two duffels and then repack them to the point that I had to repack them before I loaded them onto the horses. All they managed to say to me when I left their office was to keep the ammo and rifle in separate areas which is kind of hard when you are in a single cab truck. I did have my rifle behind the seats. In total their inspection took around 2 hours for something that should of taken a half hour at the most.

On the African hunting forum I am on some have gone to the point of printing out the regulations for both the airlines and TSA that they can hand to the agents if there is a problem.

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
I’ve got a pelican case, tough as nails. I’ve been to BC twice and here’s some advice. I have a matched 2 lock set just for my gun case! 1. ammo needs to be separated from your gun, I packed mine in a dry bag with clothes. I also put surveyors tape on that dry bag. I had a separate set of keys for my truck, camper shell, and gun case. I presented them to the border agent, explained where my ammo was and what keys went where. 15 mins later I was thru customs.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Yea, I have no idea of what the Canadian Customs agents problem with me was. My ammo was stored in one of the duffels. He even growled when he asked form my Canadian firearm permit and when I handed it to him he said that I shouldn't of signed it yet. I then told him that it wasn't signed and he growled some more. I guess that it just wasn't his or my day.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
bought the tan pelican maybe 15 years ago, its great.

have the double rifle aluminum steel whatever it is, dented on my first hunt with it. still works, but no wheels.... and a big dent, I have it if I need it, but between my pelican and a single skb rifle case, those get all the use.

I'm a little late to the game here, but I'm another vote for the Pelican 1750. I've been flying for four years now with mine and , aside from a few black conveyor scuffs, it's as tight and straight as the day I took it out of the box.

As for the TSA, some agents have required a lock in every hole while others thought that just two was sufficient. I have four keyed alike Master Locks, and multiple copies of the key. I keep a key in my wallet and another in my carry on bag, in addition to the one on my key chain. Two locks go on the case and two go inside. When they inspect the case, if they want all four, it's easy enough to abide.

ALSO: VERY IMPORTANT! Use locks with the shortest possible shanks that work. The junctions on conveyors have a habit of grabbing and eating locks with longer shanks. They will rip them right through the case.

Last edited:

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I'm a little late to the game here, but I'm another vote for the Pelican 1750. I've been flying for four years now with mine and , aside from a few black conveyor scuffs, it's as tight and straight as the day I took it out of the box.

As for the TSA, some agents have required a lock in every hole while others thought that just two was sufficient. I have four keyed alike Master Locks, and multiple copies of the key. I keep a key in my wallet and another in my carry on bag, in addition to the one on my key chain. Two locks go on the case and two go inside. When they inspect the case, if they want all four, it's easy enough to abide.

ALSO: VERY IMPORTANT! Use locks with the shortest possible shanks that work. The junctions on conveyors have a habit of grabbing and eating locks with longer shanks. They will rip them right through the case.
Solid advice on the locks.

Reactions: Slugz