Gun Case

gman1

Nov 29, 2011
North Dakota
I need a good gun case for my rifle and shotgun. One that is TSA approved . Any assistance from the members would be great!

Gman

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I have a two rifle case from Pelican. Pelican is a really, really good case.

MtnBuck

Apr 4, 2016
Aurora, Colorado
The case doesn't need to be TSA approved. Just a hardside case that you can lock (padlock X2 is best) that can't be easily jimmied open.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/transporting-firearms-and-ammunition

I don't have any specific recommendations, but check out the reviews on Cabelas, Bass Pro, etc. There are a lot of very good cases now for a lot less than the cost of a Pelican. The Pelicans are very nice though and have a lot of fans.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Two years ago a friend of mine was looking for a case to take his rifle in over to Africa on our safari. Right around Christmas time Cabela's had one nice sale on their cases which were made by Pelican at the time and he pick up one for about half what they retail for.

If you need one for both a shotgun and a rifle and want to keep it fairly short just take the barrel off of the shotgun when you put it into the case.

I found out on my trip to Africa that the better that the case is made the better. I have a Cabela's aluminum one that I purchased over 25 years ago that I took over with me. When I went to open the case I found that one of the tabs had been bent to the point that I couldn't get the locking rod out of it. I ended up getting my Leatherman out of my suit case since when I asked for a screwdriver I got the "whats that look" to bend it back to the point that I could open my case for the inspection. The only way that tab could of been bent was either by a hammer or they dropped it from a good distance right onto the tab. But other than that the case and rifle came through with no other damage.

Also on the locks for the case if you use padlocks, get a couple that are keyed alike to lock it up with. Leave one inside the case unlocked just in case the decide that they need to look inside the case after you have it inspected. Only you should have the key or combination to the lock and only you should unlock it for inspections and then when done relock it.

Last edited:

Team Kabob

Very Active Member
May 9, 2014
Pelican double rifle for my rifle/ shotgun.

SKB for double for my bow. I have hauled my rifle (short one) and shotgun with cloths packed around it.
My pelican has the foam you cut to fit the rifles or shotgun so they don't move when the lid is closed

TK

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
Americase makes rugged gun cases in many configurations, even custom. My 3 gun Safari Case was apparently dropped on its end intentionally (baggage agent agreed with my assessment), with no damage to the guns and optics inside. The locks are integral, so no protrusions to hang up on the baggage "train". Ziegel Engineering makes both standard and custom cases from aluminum. Some with integral locks. Mine has logged over 100 flights with no damage to my guns. I also use Pelican, but mostly for Scuba equipment. They make a rugged case with a lifetime guarantee.