Gun Build

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I've been kicking around a new gun build, but I'm waiting to see what our once great nation has in store in February.
NO, it's not a creedmore! :rolleyes:

Curious on the thoughts from some of you veteran gun owners and others who've done some recent custom builds.

Pro's/Con's - Likes/Dislikes on the following as well as suggestions on others.

Big Horn Action
Defiance Action - Anti

Still putting together a parts list and I may share it here if there is an interest as I'd like to get some opinions on such an investment.

Thanks EF friends

Reactions: LCH

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Take it for what's it worth. :) Just another opinion.
All the custom actions "feel" different. Some smoother, some hardly any resistance, some have a little resistance. When it came down to my build I went down the path with the questions below. I'm pretty sure you will find a lot of good info also on Snipers Hide, Long Range Shooting or Accurrate Shooter.com if you haven't seen it already.

1) How much do I want to spend? Enough to make #3 happen
2) Am I bench rest shooting with it? No
3) What's it gonna take to get .5 MOA and ES of 20 FPS and less? Factory trued will get it done.
4) If I can get #3 with a smaller #1 then I can get to Alaska quicker for multiple trips :)

Now if #2 was a yes then it would send me down a whole nother rabbit hole.

450$ for a factory action trued 1300$ for a TL3 or Deviant

Last edited:

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I literally think #4 every time I see someone ask about a custom gun. Mostly because I am cheap. Even if I was a millionaire I would still just shoot my trusty A-bolt. Ok, so maybe I would upgrade to a McMillan stock for target shooting...lol

Why pay the money for a custom gun to shoot .5 MOA when there are so many great factory guns out there that will shoot those numbers with quality brass and the properly reloading procedures and bullet placement??

I bet you if everyone followed this cats advice they would be surprised just how well their factory guns would shoot. Hes the real deal. I have been watching him for years. His information has really helped. https://www.youtube.com/c/ErikCortina/videos

Whatever you decide I hope your happy with it and post pictures! :)

troybackman

Apr 17, 2015
Mn
big horn origin. period. best custom action for the money IMO. dont over look a tikka action if you are on a budget. or even howa. building 3 28 noslers on howa action right now if that peaks your intertest?

mosquito

Nov 1, 2012
NE ohio
I literally think #4 every time I see someone ask about a custom gun. Mostly because I am cheap. Even if I was a millionaire I would still just shoot my trusty A-bolt. Ok, so maybe I would upgrade to a McMillan stock for target shooting...lol

Why pay the money for a custom gun to shoot .5 MOA when there are so many great factory guns out there that will shoot those numbers with quality brass and the properly reloading procedures and bullet placement??

I bet you if everyone followed this cats advice they would be surprised just how well their factory guns would shoot. Hes the real deal. I have been watching him for years. His information has really helped. https://www.youtube.com/c/ErikCortina/videos

Whatever you decide I hope your happy with it and post pictures! :)
Just within the last few months i started watching his videos. Ill second that recommendation 👍with most videos i always find something that raises my eyebrows and don't always agree with everything. Very rarely while watching his do i feel that way.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
make sure you and the builder are on the same exact page, that way you don't get a bean field rifle, when you wanted a mountain rifle.

Reactions: DRUSS

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
ive had a few builds done. some remington actions trued and a couple custom actions also. i think to answer about specific components might need more details on what you are looking to get out of a custom build? lighter weight ,benchrest accuracy, more comfortable shooting platform( more solid stock, trimmer mountain type stock, somewhere in between, maybe a nice walnut?), long range shooter? i cant say anything about the actions youve listed as i have no experience with them, i would like to at some point though :)
Slugz list makes good points to look at. i do believe we are lucky as plenty of factory rifles are shooting very well currently. could find one that fits most of your criteria and maybe get a different trigger or stock, and some good reloads that match up to it.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I have 2 custom rifles, one in .300 Wby and the other .220 Ackley Improved Swift.

The .300 is and older custom build that was given to me. It used a commercial Mauser action. When I got it the barrel was worn out so I rebarreled it and changed the stock. It does shoot sub moa groups out to 500 yds.

Just because a rifle will shoot 1/2" 100 yd groups, doesn't mean you can replicate the groups. Ammunition and your own skills could limit the performance.

Since I'm too damn old to chase animals all over the mountain, weight is not the prime factor. My primary antelope & deer rifle is a factory 1970 vintage Ruger M77 with the thumb safety. It weighs around 8 or so pounds and still shoots sub moa groups after all the years and rounds on the gun. If I was a youngster and still climbed the tallest mountain looking for animals, then I might build a light weight new rifle.

Reactions: JimP