Grouse

Catahoula12

Very Active Member
Apr 26, 2013
Colorado, was Az.
Where might I find decent grouse hunting in NW Colorado... Been wanting to go but not sure where to start and what elevation?? Can someone help with a general area? Much appreciated...

BruinPoint

Sep 6, 2011
Colorado
Near or in wet meadows in moderately open conifer forest over 8,000' would be a good place to start. There is food galore for them right now so slope and aspect aren't that important, IMO. The Grand Mesa and Flattops have their share of birds but they're in all the mountainous areas I can think of around here.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Catahoula12

Very Active Member
Apr 26, 2013
Colorado, was Az.
Do you know of any areas to go scout in or around the Rawah Wilderness area? Easy drive for me up HWY 14 to get up there. Thank you for acknowledging my post. Much appreciated. Jeff

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
Do you know of any areas to go scout in or around the Rawah Wilderness area? Easy drive for me up HWY 14 to get up there. Thank you for acknowledging my post. Much appreciated. Jeff
I was just in The Eaglesnest WA and they were all over. Especially the last 1000 ft before treeline.

Catahoula12

Very Active Member
Apr 26, 2013
Colorado, was Az.
Hiked in unit 19 last week for about 10 miles in all. Elevation range 8300-9600... bummer no birds. Hard buggers to come accross. Any suggestions yet??

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Quit hunting birds and start hunting elk- you will start seeing them daily lol. I joke but it really has worked out that way for me through the years. I have always struggled to focus on grouse but always seem to kill a few limits a years when elk hunting.

SunnyInCO

Oct 20, 2015
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
I am going to be in 18 for the next few days so hoping to see a few myself. When I used to go to the little flat tops outside of Yampa they were all over the place 2 years ago. Of course no one in our group or our friends group saw an elk but the grouse, all over the freekin place.

Catahoula12

Very Active Member
Apr 26, 2013
Colorado, was Az.
Hilltop- I am an elk and deer hunter but moved back to Colorado this past June from Arizona... refuse to pay non-res tag fees. I'll wait til next fall to chase elk n deer. Thought the grouse hunting would be a good way to get my elderly uncle out and also to scout around some units before the snow really starts stacking up....

outdoornut

Oct 9, 2014
Cheyenne
Can't speak for CO, but not too far away in SC WY, seen grouse almost every day while bow hunting for elk. Seemed 9k ft and higher was ticket.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Grouse move up the mountain for winter. If there are any greens still showing they will be gorging on them now. We find them eating dandelion leftovers along the FS roads usually before the last hard freeze. Go up to look for them.