Grizzly Encounters

mnhoundman

Veteran member
Oct 25, 2012
Minnesota
We were deer hunting in northwest Wyoming on the end of October this year for the first time, it had snowed a bit so we hid in some pine's to stay dry. When it quit we walked a ridge west through some pine's, it was windy so it never heard us coming. A grizzly jumped up and ran 20 yds and stopped, turned around and gave us the stare. I started yelling and waving, it hoofed at us and thankfully ran off. Once we collected ourselves we found the bed not 30 ft from the trail we were on eating on a deer carcass. A whole lot different in person than on TV I'll tell you that! I think we are lucky it heard us when it did or we would have been right on it, and weird thing is I never even pulled up my gun or grabbed my spray!!

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
On a 2012 hunt to Thorofare in the Teton Wilderness saw grizzlies several times. Once was really close. My guide and I had just settled in on a big rock pile he called "Eagles Nest". It was just getting daylight and we saw a female & 2 two year old cubs coming up out of the canyon toward us. They were about 100 yards away. The sow would stop every 20 or 30 feet and lift her head up and swing it from side to side smelling. Luckily the breeze was blowing up the canyon toward us so she couldn't smell us. My guide was getting concerned as they were getting pretty close, like 30 yards or so! He whispered to me to get my bear spray ready, as he unholstered his .44 mag. They stopped just below us and she looked right at us. My guide said if they charged us he would start yelling and shoot in the air. I should have the spray ready in case he told me to use it. Luckily they kept moving up past us and finally went over the ridge and disappeared. Really got my heart pounding. I didn't realize how big they were. The cubs were over a year old and bigger than the black bears in SW Colorado where I usually hunt. The sow was really huge and man was she beautiful. We saw several more during the week I was there, but none a close as these three!

mntnguide

Very Active Member
Ive got to many to count...ive seen more grizzlies than black bears hands down over the past 5 years. Been within 15 yards and had plenty of encounters in the 50 yard range..What do you want to hear? If you are planning on hunting griz country, the rumours are true, they DO come to the sounds of gunshots, They are a royal Pain in the A**, and you do need to be very prepared for them especially if you harvest an animal in thick grizzly country.