Grizzlies and wolves near Dubois, WY

elktracker

Feb 24, 2011
Jackson, WY
I'm sure some of you have got this email as well but thought I would share it on the forums.

Here is the text from the email I got:

Motion camera pictures outside of Dubois.

One of the rancher’s cows died and he set up a motion camera to see what animals might visit the carcass and captured some pretty neat shots.

elktracker

Feb 24, 2011
Jackson, WY

I worked in Dubois last fall collecting lymph nodes from hunter killed elk, I would say at least 1 out of 5 hunters I talked to had encounters with grizzlies. I think it's time to de-list them and start managing them.

wyo_backcountry

May 1, 2011
Wyoming
Its scary to think that there are that many different bears in one area on one carcass. I never used to worry about grizzlies when I was out hunting until this last year, now there are grizz in this drainage and grizz in that drainage. I hear more and more stories of people leaving their hunting areas for other areas because they are tired of dealing with all the bears. We just got the wolves delisted hopefully these bears are next.

dcestnik

Aug 31, 2011
I got a cow elk near Dubois during archery and a two weeks later there was an attack in the same drainage. They have always been around there but definitely unsettling if you're by yourself.

trkytrack2

Sep 13, 2011
Sterling, Colorado
Grizzly De-listing

The federal government has once again placed politics over common scense wildlife management and refused to de-list the grizzly bear from the Endangered Species list. The anti's win another one. Grizzlies won't be hunted in the lower 48.
:(

mntnguide

Very Active Member
Its an out of control situation. . I guide in the Teton Wilderness, and dont go a day without running into at least one bear. Towards the end of season and snow on the ground I would constantly see 2-3 different griz a day. This is also covering a ton of area and none of the bears are the same. We had many close encounters this year. My first 2 clients bulls were taken by a griz when i went back to pack them out. He had eaten both gut piles, part of a shoulder and rolled the other bull around. He wasnt there when i arrived but after about 15 minutes he came back in and with the help of my other packer and both clients we kept him away long enough to load up the mules and get out. They have no fear and its a matter of time before the amount of attacks continue to rise and turn into deaths. There was a good friend of mine guiding this fall who had to kill a Sow who charged. . This incident did not make the papers because of the amount of turmoil the anti's would bring up. The game warden and bear investigator deemed it a necessary kill and all legal steps were taken after he had to shoot her. His hunter unloaded bear spray which did not slow her, his first shot from his .45/70 went under her belly, she then turned and charged again from another direction and at 10 feet he had to shoot from his hip...she then charged 3 more separate times each time being hit with a round from his gun. She finally went down after 5 charges, 4 hits from a .45/70 and another shot from his clients rifle. . It was a situation that he would have much rather not been in, but when it came down to it, there was no other choice. Its hard for me to describe what we run into on a daily basis, but it is out of control and truly unbelievable at times. Its unfortunate the government made this decision, I would love to take a group of those officials into my area for just a couple days, and let them see first hand what the situation has become.

gman1

Nov 29, 2011
North Dakota
We hunted north of Dubois this year for elk and I can tell you that there are way too many bears in the area and it is just a matter of time before an attack occurs and a human life is lost. The grizzlies need to be thinned out before something like this happens.

gman

IdahoHombre

Dec 19, 2011
IDAHO
Just now saw this thread. Crazy pics. And it goes to show that you can encounter the grizzlies, not just up in the woods, but also out in the wide open sage. A lot of my desert hunter friends didn't know that until there were some reports of grizzly attacks this past year out in the open.

HuntWYODon

Very Active Member
Dec 19, 2011
Kalifornia
Back in 1999 I was hunting out of Dubois. I was walking along a fenceline and found a can of bear spray in a camo fleece holster. The next day there I met this guy near there. I asked if he lost or wanted the bear spray. He asked where I found it. I told him and he said it was his. He was working on the fence and the sow griz that was hanging around the last few days started towards him and wouldn't back off. He dropped it when he ran for the truck. Funny at the time. Not now. Look how many more there are 12 yrs. later. I've seen it around the Cody area the last 15 yrs. Easily twice as many.
mntnguide,
I've heard some pretty scarey stories from other outfitters in the area. I know exactly what you are saying !