Grinders, Slicers, and the rest......

HuntNerd

Mar 4, 2019
We are looking into purchasing all new processing equipment and I wanted to pick yall's brain here on what units are liked and which ones are not.

If you had to choose between Weston and LEM what would your choice be? Size?

We want to make everything (jerky, sausage, etc.)

Are there pieces of processing equipment you absolutely love, or hate?

TIA

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
No experience with those listed. I have been using one of the 1HP Cabelas grinders for 8 years. We grind a lot of meat through this yearly and It works like the day I bought it. Can't imagine one working better?

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I would agree with at least a 1hp grinder. I also use a sausage stuffer instead of using the grinder to stuff. It works so much better.
I also have a cabelas scale, and dehydrator.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Whatever you buy for a grinder, make sure it's has all steel gears.
The Cabela's grinders were fantastic, just not sure if there the same at the bass pro buy out.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
For jerky and other dehydrating work, we've had really good luck with the Gourmia GFD1850:

This appears to no longer be available, replaced by the GFD1950 but it's a reasonable price for a large dehydrator that gets the job done. I lightly spray the racks with canola oil so things don't stick. Had it two years now and run it several dozen times. Works great.

We also have their meat slicer:

This one appears to still be in production but I DO NOT recommend it. It cuts OK, but food easily gets stuck in a gap behind/under the blade unless you basically slice it frozen and the way the slices come out the back makes it easy to drop them. Whatever you get, I do recommend a unit with a sliding table. They're much safer in my opinion.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I have a friend up in Wyoming who is going on 2600 lbs of meat through a $100 Northern Tool 1/2 hp grinder in 8 years.

sigpros

Very Active Member
Aug 10, 2011
missouri
I can't remember what hp the new grinder we just bought was. I think it was the 3/4 horse Cabelas but it has worked great on 2 antelope and a whitetail so far. And I second getting the foot switch