Gps

Buckbob

Jan 22, 2018
Michigan
Starting to stock up on gear for upcoming elk and mule deer hunts. My budget is $500ish, I've done some research on my own but was wondering what experienced people would suggest?

Thanks, Bob

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
Garmin Oregon series. I've use them for years. I really like my latest one, I think its the 650T. If you are using the onXmaps cards you don't really need the "T" as the "T" comes with internal terrain data and you typically pay more of that. I got the "T" model because it was on a really good sale at the time.

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
I liked my Garmin OR, but just recently switched to the MT. I like the bigger screen for map viewing, but the size is definitely a negative for weight and room in you're pack.

Redbowman

Jan 18, 2016
The Oregon is a good unit with ONYX chip. Make sure you carry lots of extra batteries or use a solar charger. You will need them.

Daubs

Aug 5, 2016
Nebraska
I have a Garmin 655T Rino and the older model InReach SE. Don't mind carrying both.

Check ebay and on-line forums like rokslide...you will surely find something used for a steal of a price.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Garmin Oregon series. I've use them for years. I really like my latest one, I think its the 650T. If you are using the onXmaps cards you don't really need the "T" as the "T" comes with internal terrain data and you typically pay more of that. I got the "T" model because it was on a really good sale at the time.
X2 for the Oregon