Got our tags!

Brianh

Jan 1, 2013
Rhinelander, WI
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone that helped with my research for mule deer tags (whether you knew it or not, LOL). I estimate I spent 40-60 hours digesting maps, and researching the internet to develop our approach to get a tag this year. Three of us had 2 pts and we applied under special and got our Area 60 tags. Our fallback was Region E. I've also learned a lot about binoculars and tripods and plan to purchase the Vortex Razor HD from S&S Archery. Thanks again, wonderful forum and great people that are willing to share tips.

Brianh

Jan 1, 2013
Rhinelander, WI
Sweet! Is this your 1st hunt out west? Good luck and post pics please.
No, I've been bowhunting elk in Wyoming the past 12 years (I'm 56). Took me 6 years to figure those critters out and find an area to learn. Hunted pronghorn first time two years ago. But this is my first mule deer hunt. Will be nice to actually use a rifle for once, lol. Then, I plan to save my points for region g or h and go solo in the mountains. I got a late start hunting out west and am trying to make up for lost time.

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
Brian, I live near Chicago but just got back from Rhinelander. Was up there to inspect your post office for repairs. Scheduled most of my Wisconsin facilities early this year to avoid hotels full of kids. Very nice town I enjoy visiting. I'll also be 56 in September, and also started hunting out west fairly late when I was 35. Accumulating lots of points has gotten me some great tags but the older I get, the less I draw, because those tags are stolen more and more by special interest groups pandering to politicians. Lately when I finally squeeze a tag out somewhere and go to zero, I switch to your strategy of learning easier to draw units. It's the way to go in 2015. Hope you have fun learning mule deer. I've also hunted archery elk the most, and did not feel confident on my mulie hunts.

Brianh

Jan 1, 2013
Rhinelander, WI
Zim, it truly is a small world. I'll be 57 in September. I've been in Rhinelander for 20 years. Before that, Madison and the east coast for a short stint. Its an interesting place. You'd think it would be tourist but its not. I'm currently getting points for Bighorn, Antelope, and elk in Wyoming. We manage to elk hunt every other year now in Wyoming with 1-Point. We use to get over the counter in Idaho for those off years, but we don't really like Idaho that much. We've found some really nice country in Wyoming and have learned it. Here are the photos from my buddy and I last fall. Tom finally connected on a toad. I haven't started to apply in other states...yet. I just cannot justify several thousand dollars to hunt an elk in Nevada, Arizona or Utah. I do have a Wisconsin bear tag this fall that took 10-years to get. Have a couple 300-lb bears on the baits already. Good luck with your draws.IMG_0975.jpgIMG_0966.jpg

kesand72

May 5, 2013
Joliet, Il
Wow that is a toad congrats to you and your buddy! Had an elk hunt in Central Wyoming with a buddy last year ( rifle) with similar success. Wisconsin has some awesome bear hunting! I hunted Bay field County with Mike Foss in 2012 and took a 192 pounder, my first, with a 70 year old Mosin Nagant.

Brianh

Jan 1, 2013
Rhinelander, WI
Here are a couple of pics of the bears coming into our baits already. Also have a sow that goes about 350 on another bait. There is one around 500 lbs in the area and I really hope he's still around this year. I haven't seen his track yet this year, but hopefully he shows up.MFDC0004.jpgMFDC0015.jpgMFDC0006.jpg