Got it done!!

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
So the story starts the night before.
Trying to cover as much area with the glass we went into one of the HMAs for an evening scout. Plan was to cover as much ground so we would have a good early morning next day idea.

We get to a high spot in the truck and start glassing. Nothing at all till the last 45 min before sunset. I think I see a cow feeding through timber but not sure. We definitley see 4 bulls up high.

We decide then the next am to get to a spot to cover both areas at light, let the glass do the work then make a move. Sure enough the 4 bulls come out roughly 0730 and feed. We move to get closer and put the spotter on them. Sure enough a 5 x 5, a small rag horn and two big dudes. One of the big dudes appeared to be busted at his 6th so I felt like we had at least 2 if not 3 shooters in the group.

We put them to bed at 0830 and start the stalk. Up the ridge 750 ft and work our way across up and down some small drainages staying out of sight. Finally to the last ridge and I crawl up. No elk. I get a little higher, still no elk but I smell them. We scoot down the ridge a little to another tree, no elk. Then the sick feeling hits me as I realize we are a ridge short and 80 yards lower than where we needed to be. If they were still in their beds when I popped over they surely saw us. Our only hope was they got up early and kept feeding the same direction into the next drainage. We circle around and up and sure enough 200 yard ish away and 75 ft below is an elk. Quick look in the binos and count. 6 on one, 5 on the other. Another count. Then another count.
Yep we can shoot this guy.

Pack comes off into the snow and she sets up with the rifle prone. Broadside feeding r to l she takes the shot. He lurched a little and with the echo kinda looked around. Into a small thicket he goes then comes back out quartering to. Second shot and he flops.

Both shots were slightly fwd of the heart. The knives in the pic show the entry. 140gr AB did the trick again.

20221122_143702.jpg

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
That's weird; Did you even notice that while you were doing all the counting? It looks like you had a great experience with the proper reward at the end. As it should be.
I guess I was so worn out that we didnt even notice it when we lopped his head off. He flopped and rolled once to an edge so we had to get his fwd/ rear/ head off just to roll him up hill and over.

When we headed in the next day 2 of us were breaking down the quarters at the knees while the son in law was cleaning the skull when he says " did you guys see his horn bases"

Didnt notice while counting as I was more worried about the whole point thing. I got to tell ya , that was more of a red ass than I thought. Small 4 x 4 were easy to pick out but there is alot of almost legal, maybe legal, is he broke at the right place bulls running around.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy