Getting hurt while hunting

Leveller

Jul 17, 2011
Oregon
Ruttin - so sorry for the loss of your father and such a traumatic experience.

BB - I get how the SPOT dials 911, but with the Help feature, how does it notify your close contacts and what unit do they need to have for that to work?

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
Leveller,

The SPOT is simple to use. You log into an online account. You then type what messages you want sent with your OK, Message, and Help buttons. The message can be anything you want for those three buttons. Sometimes I program "I have a bull down here, come and help me get him out" into my Message button, and have it sent to my buddy. You cannot type your own message for the 911 button.

When you push the OK, Message, or Help button it sends your corresponding preprogrammed message to any ten emails and ten phone numbers (text only) you put into your online profile. The emails contain your message, your Lat/Long and a link to your location on Google Maps. Text has only your message and Lat/Long. The 911 button has the SPOT dispatcher contact local search and rescue.

Hope that helps.

Kevin Root

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2011
San Jose, California
web.me.com
Ruttin, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.
Bitterroot Bulls, and everyone else thanks for sharing your stories and thoughts.
It's pretty tough and unforgiving out there in the wild outdoors. One never really knows what challenges might come our way. Some things we don't have much if any control over and some we do but hopefully we can all be successful in overcoming the ones we are able to overcome. I hope all your hunts are all safe and successful. God bless you all.

SR1

Jun 7, 2011
Elk hunting in eastern Washington. While climbing down some very steep rocky hillsides my knee gave out. Lost 30% of the cartilage. I was an hour from my truck. I fashioned a crutch out of a nearby limb. I took the safer way back to the the truck. it took me 3 and 1/2 hours to get to the truck. I now carry a personal locator beacon. I think the $400.00 is worth your life and the peace of mind. I don't care what brand you choose, but I like the ACR electronics aqualink it's water-proof you have the option of signing up for cell phone / email friend notification or just using the search and rescue by its self. Just leave the macho crap in the truck and be safe and smart out there.

Last edited:

floorya

Oct 19, 2011
reno nv.
first of all.i'm very sorry to hear about your loss.
a couple years ago i was following a handfull of grouse down through an old burn with a bunch of blow downs. i stepped on some loose bark and went down. i fell off one log and landed on another log that was on a real steep angle like a slide. i ended up slipping, slideing,and tumbling for what seemed like an hour. when i finaly came to a stop i did a inventory of all my fingers, toes,legs, and arms ect. and then i noticed i had no shotgun???? it took HOURS to find it. it was about 20 feet from where i first slipped.it had lawn darted down through the dead fall. i picked it up and gave it the same once over i gave myself and made my way back to my truck. very happy i wasn't busted up any worse then i was. and VERY happy i hadn't shot myself. so please be cafeful out there.

Jul 28, 2011
Fort Collins, CO
i used the Spot Connect with an iphone this fall. It is kind of a piece *****. I dont really trust it so much. The Spot Connect app for the phone crashes often. Not very confidence inspiring. But I guess in the end, it's better than nothing!

T43

I was afraid of the Spot Connect for just that reason so I went with the Spot 2. Not only do I take it every time I go out but I make my wife take it with the tracking set up when she travels without me. Good piece of mind when she, my 3 year old and my due in March kids travel through all the large cell dead zones between our place and her parents. She used it this afternoon on the trip back and I knew by checking the map how long I had to get all my hunting stuff out of the living room.

Kevin Root

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2011
San Jose, California
web.me.com
Thanks for the update on the SPOT2 Bitterroot Bulls and T43. I had been reading some bad press or feedback on the hit and miss service as well on the SPOT in it getting the messages out and the tracking features working smoothly. It would be a cool feature if the SPOT had better communication features or options. I wish it would allow a confirmation message back from who you are sending it to and or some better communication similar to a satellite phone.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Thanks for the update on the SPOT2 Bitterroot Bulls and T43. I had been reading some bad press or feedback on the hit and miss service as well on the SPOT in it getting the messages out and the tracking features working smoothly. It would be a cool feature if the SPOT had better communication features or options. I wish it would allow a confirmation message back from who you are sending it to and or some better communication similar to a satellite phone.
The Spot uses the same satellites that I used to use for my SAT phone. They were having lots of issues with good connections and especially connections for longer then a few minutes. I would be talking on my SAT phone then I would loose the signal. Then I would have to wait for the next satellite to fly over before I could get a new connection. I think it is probably the same issue. I was told that it was supposed to be fix last year by my provider. I haven't had to use my SAT phone since last year so I don't know if they got the issues repaired or not.
My Provider was Globalstar

buckykm1

Dec 8, 2011
Vicksburg, MI
This is a great thread! I have never had a life threatening injury while I was out hunting but I am a HUGE klutz so I am just waiting for the day.. I go out shed hunting and hunting a lot alone and so I am seriously considering getting a "SPOT." Anyone use one?

I am going to get a PLB, and i have done a lot of research on them, i would never buy a Spot, one thing is the yearly activation fee of about $120.00, and 90% of the reviews on them are Bad, from the research i have done, the ACR ResQlink is one of the best, there is NO activation Fee, and they work in heavy cover, the Spot doesn't. from what i have seen, the average price for one is about $275.00.

Kevin

Last edited:

mtelknhtr78

Apr 27, 2011
Belgrade, MT
I agree with Buckykm1, a 406 beacon is the way to go. The upfront costs of a PLB seem like more but after a few years of SPOT subscriptions the PLB costs less. Not to mention the PLB 406 beacon has far better coverage worldwide and in a variety of situations. They work betterin terrain and thick cover. Plus most national SAR assets(ie Coast guard, Airforce, etc) are more than familiar with the PLB and how to use the information.
Most if not all military pilots fly with a 406 beacon of some sort. i know in the navy our emergency radio in our flight vest has a 406 beacon in it.