Getting hurt while hunting

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
A friend of mine told me of a hunt he was on in Alaska were he was cutting a rope off of his pack and stuck the knife into his chest! The guide had a sewing kit and was able to stitch up the wound until they could get back to civilization. Lucky for him he didn't puncture a lung or anything real serious.
I have Been fortunate enough not to have had anything happen to me while hunting, I havent broke anything or cut myself. Maybe my friend wouldn't have hurt himself if he was using the knife properly.
Have any of you had a life threatening experience while hunting?

sjsmallfield

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Jackson, CA
Great Thread IKIC.
About ten years ago my dad and I where hunting about an hour and a half from home. We had dropped down into a canyon and walked up the other side. We were about 2-1/2 miles from the truck when we decided to head back. I headed down throug the timber while my dad walked straight down through a big clear cut to my left. We hadn't gone 100yds when I could hear him yelling for me. When I made it to him I found out he had completly blown his knee out. It took me several hours to get him and all of our gear out. He had to lean on me the whole way. Not a major incident in the end but it could have been pretty serious if he had been out there alone. (Always let someone know where you are going and when you should be back!!!)

ffd061

Feb 21, 2011
Glyndon, Minnesota
A couple of incidents come to mind for me.
While hunting deer this year in Wy, we saw a group of mule deer crest a ridgeline and go down into another canyon. We proceeded up the "hill" to get a better look at the herd. About halfway up, it felt like some took a knife and sliced my calf muscle. Down I went, rolling around on the ground, thinking it may have been a charlie horse. After some recovery period, I hobled back to the trail, which luckily wasnt too far. Went back to camp and took it easy the rest of the day. Went out that hunting that evening and was still not able to walk. Managed to hike about a 1/4 mile, and it took about an hour-literally baby steps. We ended up cutting the hunt short and to this day have not fully recovered. Certainly not a life threatening injury, but was enough to cost me a great hunt.
The other incident, I was hunting whitetails from a treestand in South Dakota. We were going to reset the stand in a different location, and stupid me, I didnt have my safety belt attached and down I went, striking the tree and catching several metal tree steps on the way down. Went unconscious after hitting the ground, my bro in law ran over to check on me. As I slowly woke up, felt my abdominal area and noticed lots of blood. Thinking I had eviserated myself, my bro in law opened my clothes, luckily just a deep laceration, scraped and black and blue face, I came out ok. To this day, always wear a safety harness.

jenbickel

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Sheridan, Wyoming
www.facebook.com
This is a great thread! I have never had a life threatening injury while I was out hunting but I am a HUGE klutz so I am just waiting for the day.. I go out shed hunting and hunting a lot alone and so I am seriously considering getting a "SPOT." Anyone use one?

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
This is a great thread! I have never had a life threatening injury while I was out hunting but I am a HUGE klutz so I am just waiting for the day.. I go out shed hunting and hunting a lot alone and so I am seriously considering getting a "SPOT." Anyone use one?
I don't have one but have considered it. I also do alot on my own, scouting, hiking,hunting and so on. I know I've been in some places that if I was to get hurt I know I would be in deep shizz. I always tell my wife were I am and usually one of my hunting buddy's. I started to send my location to my wife with my iPhone through GPS just in case. It does seem that cell service is getting better in the hills, but my luck I will be in the bottom of a canyon with no way of contact. I always try to bring someone along so I'm not solo but I seem to be out with just me and my dog.

Leveller

Jul 17, 2011
Oregon
Not life threatening but could have been if circumstances had been different. Was hunting a tough canyon in Eastern Oregon last year - big windfalls, wet algae covered rocks, maple vine - I slipped, twisted and fell and blew out my knee. My leg was the size of my upper thigh all way down to my ankle. Had to have major knee surgery and intensive PT, but got it all back together and was back out in the same unit this season and downed a nice 4-point muley. Didn't think I could pull it off, but sheer determination, blood, sweat and tears got me through, and we hiked up in to the wilderness this year!

Drhorsepower

Veteran member
May 19, 2011
Reno, Nevada, United States
While duck hunting a few years back, we drag our layout bouts through knee deep mud 1/4-1/2 mile out in these floods, well we made the half hour drag and the three of us set up our decoys and it wasnt 15 minutes when one of my pals said, hey I'm going to head back to the truck, I think I'm having a heart attack! We stopped him, threw him in his layout boat and drug his heavy butt back to the truck. Of course we didn't have our cell phone so the tall legged one out of his high tailed it to the truck to call 911 then came back out to help us drag him out. Talk about being sore for a week. Didn't compare to what he went through. He ended up have a 3rd degree heart block. And they gave him an expensive helicopter ride back to Reno. That's the one and only medical emergency I have had while hunting. When we went back out later that day to get our boats, the two of us ended up killing 12 ducks with one shotgun. (mine was in the my buddies boat back at truck) oops. Always have your phone and stay in shape.

sethkuhl

May 19, 2011
Superior MT
Not my experience but my wifes grandfather.
My wife and I were out hunting last fall, we got a call that her grandfather (65) had been hospitalized, lined it up and headed down for the ten hour drive. Arrived there and found out that he was bow hunting and had come across a tree stand and decided to get in it. It broke out, and he broke his back in the fall not being able to move. After a while his brother came along and found him, leaving for help, left him with a .40 s and W to protect himself from the bears. Life flight and lots of recovery, he was back out bow hunting this year! tough bird!

ssliger

Very Active Member
Mar 9, 2011
Laramie WY
Not life threatening, but was out deer hunting probably 7 years ago. I was walking around camp at night and stepped in a hole and wrenched my ankle real bad, so the first thing i did was change into a taller pair of boots and put them on snug to keep the swelling down. Then i proceeded to sleep with the boot on and went out hunting for the rest of the weekend. Every step hurt like heck, but who really wants to go to the Dr if they can still attempt to hunt. It was not till i got back i went to the Dr and found out that i had actually broke my ankle.

Drhorsepower

Veteran member
May 19, 2011
Reno, Nevada, United States
Not life threatening, but was out deer hunting probably 7 years ago. I was walking around camp at night and stepped in a hole and wrenched my ankle real bad, so the first thing i did was change into a taller pair of boots and put them on snug to keep the swelling down. Then i proceeded to sleep with the boot on and went out hunting for the rest of the weekend. Every step hurt like heck, but who really wants to go to the Dr if they can still attempt to hunt. It was not till i got back i went to the Dr and found out that i had actually broke my ankle.
Did you kill a buck?

A3dhunter

Feb 28, 2011
While hiking along a steep slope in ColoradoI was crossing a slide when I lost my footing, next thing I know I was sliding downhill and the going was getting rough. I managed to get on my back and had my feet out in front of me, I saw one tree to my left that might stop me before a sheer drop. I was able to get slowed down a little and lean over and plant my foot down. I pushed some dirt/rock up right before the tree and then hit the tree hard!
It held and I was able to get stopped and move to the left and away from the slide. I had slid about 40 feet.
I ended up jamming one finger, my hands were shredded and a couple fingernails were ripped loose, but other than that I walked away. Another 10 feet and it would have been a 30 foot drop to the bottom of a creek bed.
That jammed finger hurt for two years after that.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
While hiking along a steep slope in ColoradoI was crossing a slide when I lost my footing, next thing I know I was sliding downhill and the going was getting rough. I managed to get on my back and had my feet out in front of me, I saw one tree to my left that might stop me before a sheer drop. I was able to get slowed down a little and lean over and plant my foot down. I pushed some dirt/rock up right before the tree and then hit the tree hard!
It held and I was able to get stopped and move to the left and away from the slide. I had slid about 40 feet.
I ended up jamming one finger, my hands were shredded and a couple fingernails were ripped loose, but other than that I walked away. Another 10 feet and it would have been a 30 foot drop to the bottom of a creek bed.
That jammed finger hurt for two years after that.
Holy crap! How freaking scary that had to be!

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
A friend, my father, and I were setting up tree stands the week before the hunt, when my dad said he didn't feel good. I knew what was happening, he was having a heart attack. I raced up the steep hill about a mile and half to the four wheeler and bushwhacked it down to him to get him out so he didn't have to over exert climbing out. Got him to his four wheeler and headed out for help.(no cell service) I had him go first, when I came around the first corner he was on the ground off his wheeler. I went for help, while my friend stayed with him. When I left I knew I would probably never see my dad alive again. An hour later I got cell service, called 911 and met medical help to show them where to get to him(13 miles back on a dirt road). Life flight was called and landed as we got back to him with the GPS cordinates for them. My dad never made it out of the mountains that night. Never in my life did I think I would help put my dad in a body bag. Hunting has never been the same for me, to loose my mentor who taught me everything I know about hunting. I know he is with me on every hunt though. Worst day of my life.

Jerry

Feb 21, 2011
Joseph Or
A friend, my father, and I were setting up tree stands the week before the hunt, when my dad said he didn't feel good. I knew what was happening, he was having a heart attack. I raced up the steep hill about a mile and half to the four wheeler and bushwhacked it down to him to get him out so he didn't have to over exert climbing out. Got him to his four wheeler and headed out for help.(no cell service) I had him go first, when I came around the first corner he was on the ground off his wheeler. I went for help, while my friend stayed with him. When I left I knew I would probably never see my dad alive again. An hour later I got cell service, called 911 and met medical help to show them where to get to him(13 miles back on a dirt road). Life flight was called and landed as we got back to him with the GPS cordinates for them. My dad never made it out of the mountains that night. Never in my life did I think I would help put my dad in a body bag. Hunting has never been the same for me, to loose my mentor who taught me everything I know about hunting. I know he is with me on every hunt though. Worst day of my life.
Man that sucks, but I'm sure he is watching you on every stalk and celebrates every kill with you!

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv

I'm very sorry to hear that. I agree he is watching over you and I'm sure he is happy that you continue to hunt.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
Ohh, I got plenty of these stories ... unfortunately.

First off, I have a SPOT and never head to the woods without it. If you don't have one, get one. Keep it in your pocket and not in your pack.

A few years ago I was hunting the high alpine country of Western Montana for mule deer and was looking for a giant 190 class typical buck. I had seen a number of deer that were good shooters, but that was the deer I was after. My buddy had killed a deer the day before in this area and told me he had seen a buck that neither of us had seen through weeks of archery hunting. He said it was a double dropper nontypical. I was excited to hit the trail, but had a harder time than usual, coughing up large amounts of phlem.

I scrambled up the snowy, steep backside of a mountain, so I could glass down into an area with patches of pine and steep slides. I had a lot of trouble with my cough and felt unusually light-headed, but I continued on. I got up there and glassed down. Right away in noticed a deer body tucked up under the low branches of a fir in the middle of a slide. I glassed him until I could see his right antler move, and a drop tine came into view!

That was enough for me, so I lined up on him and put one through the goods. He just layed his head over in the snow. I racked the bolt, put it on safe, and stuck it down the Eberlestock gunscabbard, in case he tried to jump up on approach. I scrambled over to him and nearly slipped down the snowy slide several times getting to him. I found him there and got a look at his 21 points. He had a tight 24 inch mainframe and short forks, so I knew he wouldn't score great, but he was heavy and ... well ... awesome.

I boned him and caped him, and suffed him into the pack. I got everything loaded, and just put the shoulder straps on loose, given the extreme terrain. I just started off the ledge, and lost my footing. I started rolling, and somehow got out of my shoulder straps. My pack and I started on separate paths down the mountain. I rolled off a 15 foot ribbon cliff and landed hard on my back. My wind was gone. I looked down to the see my pack, antlers, rifle, and all disappear over another cliff. Then I heard a giant kaboom. It took me a minute to process what happened ... but it dawned on me, and I realized I had never unloaded the gun.

It seemed like forever before I could breathe again. I said a prayer, thanking the Lord I was still alive. I could not believe how stupid I had been not clearing my rifle. I checked myself over, and found that nothing was broken. My back and both arms were starting to visibly swell, though, and I knew I had to get moving. I slid/side-stepped my way down the slide and found my rifle by itself about 20 feet from the path the pack had taken. The rifle and scope looked like new! The safety was now in the off position. I scrambled down to the next cliff and could see my pack, without head and antlers, about 250 feet down the slide. I could see the head above it and game bags of meat along the slide mark. I made my way, slowly and painfully down the slide and picked up the meat on the way, rolling it down to the pack. I made it to the head, and found the right main beam and a couple inches of the left dropper had broken, but the reast was OK. I made it to my pack and found that the rifle had gone off when it was half out of the scabbard (exposing the trigger and safety to rocks and sticks), and blasted the scabbard apart. The compression straps were all still attached to the frame. I put everything in strapped it all back together. To my surprise the pack carried the load!

I hiked back to the lake in what can only be described as a miserable, painfull march. My friend was at the lake, because he had come in to get his bivy camp out from the day before. He found me in miserable form. I told him the story and he thankfully took the bulk of the meat in his pack, with his camp, for the rest of the 3 miles out. I was coughing uncontrollably. I was miserably sore. I was having a hard time putting one foot in front of the other, but finally made it out.

My wife bought me a SPOT immediately afterward. It turned out I had pneumonia from a lung infection. This story is hard to tell, and more than a little embarrassing. However, I hope it gives some of you guys stuff to think about when you are out in the rough and dangerous wilds of the West.

Unfortunately I have more incidents than this one to tell, but maybe another time.