"Georgia Slammer" 2019

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
LOL, not really.

But I did kill a buck.

The buck roar strikes again.

Passed this deer up last year on the last day because he wasn't quite there yet. This is a 5.5 year old deer.

Shot him with a 168 grain Nosler ballistic tip right behind the shoulder as he was "Charging" across a food plot and that thing ran 100 yards and left VERY LITTLE blood.

Did anyone create a 2019 whitetail photo thread yet? I didn't see one or I would have just posted it in there.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
He probably went about 150-160 pounds. Pretty good sized deer for down here.
Georgia has different sizes of deer in different counties.
2 counties south of where this buck was killed the bucks may never get over 130 pounds.
2 counties north the deer may be a mixture.
There are rumors that during the re-stocking program they did here that they brought deer in from different states. I dont know how true it is but the genetics sure vary greatly from area to area here. I've never seen nothing quite like it.
FYI- The buck I killed last year might have went 110 pounds.

Reactions: bowman340

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Good deal. We used to have a meat pole like that at our old farm. Some of my favorite memories as a kid were looking at all the deer hanging on it after opening weekend of gun season.
I'd guess you probably can't leave a buck up there very long, in Georgia in October!

Reactions: bowman340

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
It was pretty warm, I got stung by a yellowjacket skinning the deer. I hate them little suckers...

We have a walk in cooler with an old air conditioner Jerryrigged to go down to 40 degrees but I only use that when we are there for a long period. When we are there for the weekend I break the deer down and put it in the ingloo on ice.

We will be there for a week starting this Friday so hopefully we will be able to put a couple more bucks on the ground.
It looks like the barometer will be above 30.1 the entire time so that should get the deer moving. The full moon rolling in may cause some havoc but we will see what happens. The rut is gonna be in full swing with the peak breeding occuring during the 9th about every year in our location. I normally have a LOT of success calling bucks in daily during this time period.

I really hope my wife is able to score on a buck. There is so much pressure from the surrounding clubs that it makes it really hard.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
It was pretty warm, I got stung by a yellowjacket skinning the deer. I hate them little suckers...

We have a walk in cooler with an old air conditioner Jerryrigged to go down to 40 degrees but I only use that when we are there for a long period. When we are there for the weekend I break the deer down and put it in the ingloo on ice.

We will be there for a week starting this Friday so hopefully we will be able to put a couple more bucks on the ground.
It looks like the barometer will be above 30.1 the entire time so that should get the deer moving. The full moon rolling in may cause some havoc but we will see what happens. The rut is gonna be in full swing with the peak breeding occuring during the 9th about every year in our location. I normally have a LOT of success calling bucks in daily during this time period.

I really hope my wife is able to score on a buck. There is so much pressure from the surrounding clubs that it makes it really hard.
As long as you use the buck roar call your wife should have no problem.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Oh shes got one in her bag. She is affraid to use it because she says it scares the deer.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
A bad string of luck over the last couple years for my wife. She had a miss two years ago and then her gun mis-fired (M77 weak firing spring which is common...read about it sometime...I replaced with a 24 pound wolf spring...obviously it fixed the issue..lol).

This year she had not had much luck in getting on any legal bucks and I told her that if she just kept after it luck would find her.

Tuesday morning she killed the first buck and Tuesday evening she killed the second buck. I'm super happy for her.

Both deer where hit in almost the exact same place with a .308 and ran about 60 yards.
Second buck was probably pushing close to 200 pounds with the guts in it.

Last edited:

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Hopefully a couple of these guys will get one more year but there is still 2 months of the season left. I wish they would shorten the season by a couple months.