Gear guys need some help

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Ok gear junkies what is the best solar lantern combo ?

One of the guys on another site I'm on took a direct hit from hurricane Ida still has no power and things are pretty rough for him and his family. Basically camping in under the stars in his living room.

Im wanting to send a care package of some type of solar panel and lantern combo to relieve the battery issue he's having.

Thinking of
2 lanterns
Solar panel
Maybe a emergency radio

They are living by head lanps and eating mre for the last 3 weeks.

Open to other ideas too

• Wow
Reactions: Prerylyon

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
You're a nice guy.

If you can't figure the solar thing, why not send him batteries? Is there a reason you can't ship batteries? Not too pricey at Costco or Sams. Maybe order em online and have the supplier ship them?

Couple thoughts:

We ended up getting an Energizer lantern that takes diff battery sizes from AA to D. That's in our hurricane prep kit.

We also have 1/2 dozen of unused $1 solar lawn lights in our kit. We use em for camping too. Not gonna make the room bright white, but will make it so can eat and maybe read if right next to the little lights.

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
They are relying on batteries now lots of them. He said hard to get local and mail service is hit or miss still. No ups or fedx so was trying to send something a little more permanent

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
A nice generator and 500 gallons of gas.........

I wish that I could help but I have never dealt with solar other than a system that I helped install into a slide in caper. It was a about a 18"x24" panel on the top of the camper that would charge two 6 volt golf cart batteries. Really it was a simple set up and a lot of RV dealers sell them now.

But your problem with something like that would be getting them some deep cycle batteries unless they could pick them up locally.

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
I was thinking the goal zero type stuff, recharge a couple lanters and a power bank for cell phones and the like.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I was thinking the goal zero type stuff, recharge a couple lanters and a power bank for cell phones and the like.
Goal Zero is pretty reliable, a big panel will do them pretty well if that is along the lines of what you are thinking.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I have a Goal Zero, was always pretty happy with it. The inverter is not super efficient but my unit is like 4 years old so I'm sure it's improved since then...