Game Cart?

prhunter

Apr 18, 2016
West Texas
Who around here uses a game cart to haul deer and/or equipment?

Considering one for this fall. Would like to know pros vs cons. Thanks

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
I use one fairly often depending on terrain.
If there's lots of brush or trail narrower than the wheels it gets a bit tough. Otherwise works amazing

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Using a cart will greatly depend on where you are hunting at. I built one back in the early 70's that used a motorcycle tire and brake set up. It worked great as long as we had a fairly good trail to run it on. But as the years went on and I started to hunt different areas I found that I wasn't using it so I sold it.

As for the newer ones you need to figure out if you can use a single or dual wheel cart. Single wheels are great if the trails are just a single track, but the dual wheel one would be nice if the trails were wide enough to use it on without hanging up in the brush.

One of the best ideas that I have seen were a couple of hunters using a wheelbarrow to haul out a elk. A dual purpose cart so to speak.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
yep . work great in right terrain . not so great in mountainous terrain.

sometimes they are great . sometimes they are more hindrance then help.

sdhunters

Dec 22, 2018
Eastern South Dakota
Have used game cart "mule" for years and love them. Have hauled deer out of cattail sloughs, CRP and through the snow and they worked great. One issue is I just bought a new Heavy Duty Cabelas cart and they are just that, too heavy. My terrain is fairly flat so they work well, mountainous terrain would probably pose a problem. Attach a couple ratchet straps to keep load in place.

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
I've used this off and on over the years. I built it for single track trails. I used standard rubber brakes on the rim and take extra pads with me. When the wheel gets wet the brakes don't grab very well, a disc or drum would be better but a drum is heavy and a disc is fragile. It's easy to balance the load when you carry it low. It also helps if you shoot your elk above camp and your buddy gravity can help out.15463817609932079398516.jpg

Ok I give up, my tablet is smarter than me!

Attachments

Last edited:

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I brought out a deer in a wheel barrel down the railroad tracks one time. Does that count? lol

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
They are great if you have no snow or mud and the trail is wide enough for the cart. In the mountains I prefer to pack on my back but in Nebraska the cart is perfect most of the time.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Sure makes it nice to haul out an elk in one trip. Have used one in sage flats and to haul an elk off of Kennaday Peak. It can work almost anywhere but is work. No brake on ours and one would sure be nice.
Ours goes along to camp everywhere now if we have room to haul it.

prhunter

Apr 18, 2016
West Texas
Thank you all for the responses. I'll probably pick one up this spring and take it to the upcoming hunts this fall.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I like my brothers approach best .

he told his 13 year old son that his mother didn't think he was tough enough to pack my brothers deer out himself. his son packed my brothers buck for him to prove his mother wrong.

should have seen his face when he was told his mother never said that. lol.

Daubs

Aug 5, 2016
Nebraska
We used game carts to haul waterfowl decoys on public land, well established trails. Works great!

Hunting in Sandhills, I switched to a decoy sled and a shoulder harness. The wheels of the carts dig in to the sandy soil. Easier to pull a sled. Still a pain the arse.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I had one from living in CT before I moved to CO. Since I moved here I hardly ever use it. If you're on forest roads most of the time it's probably fine but up and down over mountain terrain it's just too much work to lug around. Most aren't too stable if you tip them to the side and I do that pretty much all the time hiking around saddles and draws...

That said, when the terrain and weather lets you use one, you're real glad to have one...

6mm Remington

Very Active Member
Mar 27, 2011
Western Montana
My buddy just holding the cart for pics. Cow elk whole on it! Don't need no stinking trail! My father and I made this. It has brakes and is made for two people but it sure works sweet!! Next pic is grandpa pushing his grandson down to get a doe whitetail I just shot.

44951 44950 44952

Another elk whole! The carts come unhinged at the middle and fold up for easier fitting in the back of the pickup.
44953 44954 44955

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
^^^ Thats serious.

I'm trying to figure out how you stood the thing up with a whole elk on it without folding the wheel in half like a pretzel. Because, for sure, that's what would have happened to me. lol

LeeSikvel

Sep 7, 2022
Moving from CT to CO definitely changes the terrain and makes carting around more challenging.

On a different note, have any of you ventured into trying skillz blackout bingo in your new surroundings? It's always interesting to hear about new games and how they fit into our adventures.

So, whether you're hiking those mountain trails or playing a game, it's all about finding the right balance and enjoying the journey.

Last edited:

6mm Remington

Very Active Member
Mar 27, 2011
Western Montana
^^^ Thats serious.

I'm trying to figure out how you stood the thing up with a whole elk on it without folding the wheel in half like a pretzel. Because, for sure, that's what would have happened to me. lol
It's pretty easy actually. You have one person on the end with the brake handle hold the cart from rolling. Rear legs of the elk cut off at the hock. Cut a whole in the hock just as if you were going to hang the elk up by the rear. This gives the person holding the cart a handhold to help. The forward handles are on the ground and as close to underneath the rear elk quarters as you can. The person holding the cart grabs a leg with one hand while leaning into the cart with their chest pulling on the leg. The other person grabs wherever they can and helps pull the elk up the cart towards the handles the one person is holding. Once the elk is up on the cart enough the person holding it pushes down on the handles while the other person goes to the forward end of cart and helps lift the cart up so that it is level. Once it's up and the cart deck is level adjustments can be made so that with the elk on the game cart it is evenly balanced front to rear and no energy is needed to hold the cart level as the weight is balanced. The one person continues to hold the cart with the other uses motorcycle tie down straps and bungee cords to secure the elk. Once that's done off you go!!

If you go quite a distance and need a rest usually the person who is the brake man holds the cart. The front person slowly lowers their end to the ground so that the handles are on the ground, the cart is not laid on it's side. Really simple to take a break this way. If the person holding the cart needs to sit down, just let the other person hold it for a while. You do not want to try and lay the cart down with an elk, deer, antelope, or anything else on it. That's NOT how you want it to try and stand it up again. If the terrain is not too bad one person can handle a whole deer, half a elk, or 3 antelope whole as I did in central Montana. It's not too bad doing that, but it is meant for two folks. I'll see if I can find a pic with a critter on it while resting.

Last edited:
Reactions: mallardsx2