Game bags

50bowhunter

Jan 6, 2016
I'll be antelope hunting Wyoming this October and being an eastern guy I've never packed out an animal. I was wondering if game bags are necessary or if I could get by with trash bags. Let's say I have the meat back to the truck within 2 hours or less, have coolers with ice, and get the meat to the butcher that day. Is it still worth the money to buy game bags?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I like the bags because they breathe. For what your are talking about pillow cases could work very well. When i get to the truck on an antelope hunt i then switch to garbage bags and alternate ice and meat in the cooler.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Trash bags would work just fine. Just make sure you get the meat out of them as soon as possible and on ice. I'd say no more than an hour.
Antelope are very small and even a buck will probably weigh around 70-75 lbs field dressed so carrying one out whole to keep everything nice and clean is very doable.
Take care of that meat and you will find there is no better table fare.
Good luck on your hunt.

Last edited:

Doe Nob

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Houston, TX
I own and like the TAG bags, although several companies make very good ones now, not the case even 5 years ago. I'd say invest in a set if you are coming out west anyway.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
If it is warm out and you put warm meat in trash bags, you are asking for trouble, especially if the bone is left in. If it's cold out, may work. Never tried it. I have put fresh killed antelope, bone in, in unscented trash bags packed with ice, within an hour or less of a kill in 95 degree heat, no issues. I'd get get a couple breathable moderate sized bags. You can get by with any fabric, pillow cases...quarter or bone it out and head for ice.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
A mature antelope buck will weigh more than 70-75 lbs field dressed, at least ours in Wyoming do. I would say more like 80-100 lbs depending on his condition, before rut or after.
Trash bags can be treated so don't use them unless you're sure. We get some of the giant ziplock bags, XXL.
The light weight game bags are great, we also have some canvas ones for truck or trailer transport of quartered game. Whole antelope will fit in the largest ones. Keeping dust off of the meat is most important if you're not going to age it before cutting.
While it can be warm during antelope season be prepared for cold weather too.
If you bring him out whole after field dressing put a rub spreader in the body cavity to help dissipate that heat, a stout stick will work.