Game bag.

JPSeveland

Jun 8, 2014
Cheyenne Wyoming
I was currently going threw my pack and replacing things and feel that my big alaska game bag sure are heavy in my opinion. What do you guys use for game bags in the back country?

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Caribou Gear - Big Game Bags. http://www.biggamebags.com/ I got the High Country ultra-lite Muley set. They have almost too many options, this one comes with a bunch of stuff and 7 bags, including a cape bag. I sort through it and only take what I think I'll need. It was between these and Tag Bags, when I bought a set a year ago.

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
Which set of tag bags would you buy if you weren't going to bone it out until back at camp/truck? 24x44 or 28x60 for elk? Or buy 2 28x60 for hindquarters and 24x44 for straps, shoulders and neck meat?

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Which set of tag bags would you buy if you weren't going to bone it out until back at camp/truck? 24x44 or 28x60 for elk? Or buy 2 28x60 for hindquarters and 24x44 for straps, shoulders and neck meat?
What I find confusing about their options, is their options, too many. Like WB said above, the Wapiti is a purpose built Elk bone in set, part of the High Country series. Their quarter bags are 34x20 I think. Then you can find medium bags, for bone in elk that are sold as singles I think, 48x28. My guess is the 34x20 would work well to get it back and bone it out, if I were planning to hang quarters from the meat pole, I'd probably get 4 48x28's or 24x44's, to cover the quarter and then some, and one meat parts bag.

badgerbob

May 18, 2015
Eastern Oregon
I don't get rid of things easily. Hence my game bags are a fine mixture of who knows what. Each year I make sure I have enough to pack out an elk, making a deer no problem. After use I wash them and if no holes, they go back in my pack. I also carry a 6x8 light canvas ground cloth. Usually when I loose bags it's because I help someone who is not prepared and even though they assure me "I'll get these right back to you" I never see them again. My wife says I am a little "set in my ways". I guess maybe I am. When I look at my gear I see stuff that I know is way outdated, but it has served me well and I am reluctant to give it up. I probably should pay better attention to the new stuff coming out, I know some of it is amazing, but when something works, it just works.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
I agree with badgerbob. Just because a new version of equipment has come out that doesn't mean the one you have now no longer works.
I have been using the same "Camp Trails" pack frame from Cabelas for the last 25-30 years. It has packedput countless deer and several elk. It has one main compartment that will hold a whole bone in elk quarter with no problem. I use the same Alaska Game Bags over and over. Just wash them up and they are as good as new. A few ounces is not going to make any difference.

badgerbob

May 18, 2015
Eastern Oregon
I agree with badgerbob. Just because a new version of equipment has come out that doesn't mean the one you have now no longer works.
I have been using the same "Camp Trails" pack frame from Cabelas for the last 25-30 years. It has packedput countless deer and several elk. It has one main compartment that will hold a whole bone in elk quarter with no problem. I use the same Alaska Game Bags over and over. Just wash them up and they are as good as new. A few ounces is not going to make any difference.
My pack frame is a Cabelas Alaskan ll. I don't even remember how old it is. Early 90s? Lost its looks, but has packed out lots and hopefully will pack lots more.

7shot

Mar 26, 2015
Idaho
The best bags made are Tag Bags, light, super strong, clean up great in the washing machine -

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
Depends on how and what you are packing out. I debone everything and let it air cool before packing it out. I really like the original tall and narrow Kifaru meat bags. You can fit 80 lbs of cooled down deboned meat in one bag. They pack out extremely well with deboned meat because they are 9 inch in diameter and 28" tall. You center them inside your pack and cinch them down and they stay there without the deboned meat ending up in a big ball at the bottom of the pack. I can fit two full bags in my DT1 if I wanted too. They are reusable and very strong. I carry three with me and they only weigh like 1 oz each and double as stuff sacks for cloths and other soft stuff when packing in. I keep my Alaskan bags in the truck and can switch the meat to them if I want to let the meat hang at the truck.