Freeze dried meals

gkempf

Feb 11, 2015
Have tried a lot of the Mountain House meals. Are there any other brands out there that you would recommend. Thanks

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I like Thrive you can buy it in gallon size containers then vacuum seal down to the size I want. I also like to just use the dried potatoes from the grocery store, I believe is the Idahoan brand only uses water. I break the package in half then add dried bacon or home made jerky and vacuum seal those also, and you can get lots of different flavors in that brand of potatoes.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Go deep, that is exactly what I do. I find them far more palatable than the freeze dried meals. Emergency Essentials sells their own brand plus Mt. House. You can find them on BePrepared.com

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Ricmic I really like it when you vacuum seal them down yourself the size of the package is much smaller saving a lot of bulk space in a pack verse a package of mountain house.

Last edited:

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
Mt House chicken ala king, best there is. I cut the pkg right above the ziploc, roll it up, loc it, then a strip of duct tape to hold it.

87TT

Very Active Member
Apr 23, 2013
Idaho
After backpacking for years, I have found very few freeze dried meals that are edible or worth their weight or bulk. I still buy some bulk items to use in some meals but for the most part I dehydrate my own.
www.trailcooking.com
If you like scrambled eggs , Ovaeasy brand eggs can't be beat.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
im surprised this topic isn't getting more hits. I love mountain house meals, I think go deep and ricmic have it down though.

Musket Man

Veteran member
Jul 20, 2011
colfax, wa
I usually get the cheapest Mountain House I can find. There are some that are quite a bit heavier that I usually avoid. They all have about the same nutrition and I figure Im there to hunt, not for the food. As mentioned above I like to take instant mashed potatoes too. I take the single serve ones because they are light and add alot to your meal. I just mix them into the Mountain House or if Im not real hungry or trying to spread food out I will split a Montain House in 1/2 and add the potatoes to it. I have been thinking about getting the gallon cans and splitting them up myself, I just havent got that far yet.

gkempf

Feb 11, 2015
Thank you all for your post. Am considering making my own for maybe better nutrition and a lot less sodium. I lived off Mountain House for 4 weeks on a DIY moose/caribou hunt in Alaska and lost 15lbs. Energy level got a little low towards the end.

lostriverproductions

Dec 27, 2011
Goshen IN
I like Thrive you can buy it in gallon size containers then vacuum seal down to the size I want. I also like to just use the dried potatoes from the grocery store, I believe is the Idahoan brand only uses water. I break the package in half then add dried bacon or home made jerky and vacuum seal those also, and you can get lots of different flavors in that brand of potatoes.
What do you usually use from them? DO you mix them all into the same bag?

okielite

Banned
Jul 30, 2014
NW Nebraska
+1 on the instant mashed potatoes.

I also like the Lipton chicken and noodle soup mix. Many of the instant pasta and rice packets from the grocery store will work when camping as well and only cost about $1. If you are really saving $ try ramen and a pouch of chicken.

Another favorite when out in the woods is Justins nut butter packets. I like the honey butter flavor and the small packets are easy to fit in the pack. Mix in a bagel or tortillas along with a pouch of jelly from mcdonalds and you have a PB&J.
http://justins.com/product/honey-peanut-butter/

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I usually eat a MH every 3rd or 4th night. In between, I eat ramen noodles, instant mashed potatoes, lipton noodle or rice sides, or one of the Bear River soups. With the bear river soups, I usually portion it out into 2-3 servings, and put it into a ziplock, with instructions written on the bag.

I usually snack pretty much all day, on breakfast bars, nuts, snickers, peanut butter/ jelly on bagels, cheetos, etc, that I'm not all that hungry at night, and don't really feel like 'cooking' anything anyways.

87TT

Very Active Member
Apr 23, 2013
Idaho
If Nutrition and taste is a goal, then doing your own is the way to go. An example is; say you like your wife's spaghetti sauce. You can make up a big batch and dehydrate it. You do this by spreading the sauce on the dehydrator racks that have parchment paper on them. Dehydrate it until it's dry. Then you break up the sheets of dry sauce and put it in plastic freezer bags. At camp you add boiling water to the bag and put it aside in an insulated spot.(I have one of the "cozys they sell on the website I mentioned above). You wait and it turns back into the same sauce. You can cook any kind of pasta and dehydrate it and prepare it the same way. I always cook the pasta and sauce and combine it before dehydrating. That saves a step preparing it. At camp, It's as easy as boiling water. The freezer bags are a lot lighter and less bulky than commercial packages. You can Dehydrate a vast variety of food. Basically anything that isn't oily or greasy.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
What do you usually use from them? DO you mix them all into the same bag?
I've got bbq chicken with rice and beans. curry rice with chicken. I mix the bacon or jerky with the potatoes. I make my own jerky so I flavor it as I want to mix with the potatoes. My wife gets the bacon in a bulk bag from sam's club

B&C Blacktails

Mar 1, 2015
Canned salmon, salmon or deer jerky, cliff bars, one or two of these for breakfast. And again for lunch. Mtn house beef stroganoff, Chili mac and beef, pasta primavera, turkey tetrazinni, spaghetti with meat sauce and rice and chicken are my go to's. Mtn house sales in bulk. put portions in ziploc bag and bring one of the zippered cook pouches to cook in. Super light and small, it gets me by just fine.

Food high in calories and protein are what I look for.

If you pack it in pack it out. We as hunters have a responsibility of taking care of the outdoors. Too many times have I driven or hiked into the deer woods and seen garbage and toilet paper left behind. This makes us look like blood thirsty trailer trash.

If you pack it in pack it out!