For the first timers....

hskrhntr

Aug 8, 2014
Nebraska
Last year was my first mountain, backcountry hunt. I had never hunted a mountain state and had little backpacking/mountain experience. I did it solo. Here are a few things that I learned (and wished I would have known). I'm from central/western Nebraska so timber hunting was a whole new world to me.

1. If you're a rookie and going solo have an emergency contact device...sat phone, SPOT, something like that. I didn't have any problems, but I went down twice, a couple miles from the trailhead and in the timber. Had I injured myself, I would have been in trouble. I actually packed up camp a couple days early because I felt it was irresponsible of me, with my lack of experience, a wife at home, etc. to risk it.

2. If you think you're in good enough shape, you're not. Being able to run 7 miles helps, but its the climbing with 40-50 lbs on your back that will kill ya. I didn't do enough strength/climbing training and it made the hike in really hard. I only packed in 2 miles and 1400 ft, but 2 miles in the mountains is VERY different than 2 miles out here in the flatlands.

3. Take somebody with you. I enjoy alone time, it's a nice break from the day-to-day rush of work, but it's an amazing experience that would be a lot more fun if you share it with somebody. Also, you have a lot of down time while glassing, etc. Having someone there would make it more fun. And, back to #1, it's safer, just in case something happens.

4. Get a GPS Unit with Onxmaps. I used mine ALL the time. Not because I was lost, but because I needed to know that I was on the right route to where I was heading and that I was on public ground. The area I was hunting was a mix of public/private. There is no way I would have known where the boundaries were without my Garmin. Also, it was really nice to know I was following the same route out that I took in. It will save a lot of time and wasted steps. Also take a good topo map and compass. My GPS didn't work for a while and I used the compass.

5. Do it for the experience your first time out. You will learn A LOT! As long as you're out there hunting you'll have a chance to get your trophy, but also be sure you're taking note of everything so that you can use the info the next time out.

6. Take your time. Everything takes longer out there. Don't get in a rush...unless you see a monster and need to make a move quick. :)

7. Watch the weather. Like everywhere, it will have a huge impact on your hunt, but in the mountains it will also have a huge impact on your ability to get in OR OUT of many places. Rain will make many places unaccessible, same with snow. It will also get you stuck on the mountain if it's bad enough and you don't get out ahead of it.

8. Expect some things to go wrong and prepare for that. Some of you equipment will fail. Anything that is absolutely necessary, have a backup.

9. Do a lot research ahead of time. This forum is a great place for information on everything, gear, tips, backpacking, soloing, hunting strategy...read it all. Until you've been out there, it will be hard to wrap your head around some of it, but you'll get it once you're out there.

10. DO IT.....IT'S AWESOME!!!!! if you've wanted to get out there and do it but just haven't for whatever reason...DO IT! I ate my tag, never even saw a mulie I would consider shooting, and it was one of the most memorable, amazing hunts of my life.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Great post! Way to highlight the basic things for a great hunt. More often than not one of those are left out and it becomes a miserable experience.

50bowhunter

Jan 6, 2016
Great advice for the first time western hunter, but most of it applies to all hunters everywhere. Most people only get to hunt a few days a year, and being unprepared can cost you those precious days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
ALSO.... allways have a spare tire or even two! and a good floor jack, those pos jack that come with rigs just don't serve any purpose

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Good write-up. GREAT ADVICE ON THE SPARE TIRE!

Learned that one the hard way years ago......

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
If you are going to an area that is hard on tires, and many are, consider increasing the load range/tire ply rating. I went to 10 ply, load range E tires, for hunting, on several rigs that you could run 4 ply P metrics on, many years ago. If your rig comes with 10 ply's, then I'd up the rating by a few plys to get the same margin of extra toughness. Flats are fairly rare with the extra tire ratings and almost non existent if the tread is over 50%. You can still get into trouble with side wall cuts, but the extra ply's in the tread have worked well for me in desert areas in SE OR where previously we had flats every year. You'll pay more and ride a bit rougher, but for us it works well.

MattDavis

Jan 23, 2016
Colorado Springs
Sir I will be in the same boat this year. I finally got stationed in the west but at first I kept telling my self im not ready or don't have this or that yet. Than I just started thinking of how your opportunities to hunt in a life time are so limited and I have no idea how long ill be able to back pack so Ive decided Im going for it.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
Always nice to have someone with you, but I think the idea of solo in shape diy could have it's advantages too.

Definitely a spot etc... sat phone....,
not sure many think about it but you can twist an ankle and be doomed! you don't need to fall 40ft off a cliff to die out there!

lol@ if you think you're in shape, you're not! lol. agreed.
I read somewhere that a sea level guy vs. someone at altitude is about 20% difference in effort/toughness.
So to keep up you need to essentially be 20% in better shape than locals and those locals are in great shape!