Food Weight?

Doe Nob

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Houston, TX
Just curious what everyone has in their packs for extended hunts (5 days +).

I'm getting mine together, I think I will be at 10 lbs for 7 days. Breakfast and dinner are dehydrated meals, everything else is not.

How heavy is your food?

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO

I'm getting mine together, I think I will be at 10 lbs for 7 days. Breakfast and dinner are dehydrated meals, everything else is not.

How heavy is your food?
Instant oatmeal for breakfast. Snickers/cliff bars for a am and pm snack. Trail mix and jerky for another am/pm snack. Either tuna fish or pb&j bagel sandwiches for lunch. Mountain house for dinner.

Alaskabound2016

Oct 14, 2015
Colorado Springs
My list is pretty similar to everyone else. Mountain House for breakfast and dinner and snack items for lunch and throughout the day. Right around 10 pounds as well.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
My daily food packs are 3500 calories and weigh in at 1.7 lbs each. I pack in for a week at a time so that comes to right at 12 lbs. I posted mine here before. I have switched to the Wise meals for a little more variety. Weight varies very little.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
1.5 to 2lbs a day depending on what I will be doing. If I am say archery elk hunting where more walking is happening there will be more calories. Minimum 3500 calories a day bearing in mind that you probably burned at LEAST that much.

JMSZ

Sep 5, 2012
Mine is right at 16 pounds for 8 days planned, 3495 calories/day.

I'm not carrying any dehydrated food with the exception of drink powders (Carnation Instant Breakfast & coffee, Gatorade Starbucks Refresher and spiced cider), water availability is sketchy enough that I don't want to be having to use what I can find for rehydrating food in addition to drinking.

That doesn't include weight for a bear can and 2 flasks.

BobJohansen

Apr 12, 2013
Minnesota
Clif Bars, Mountain House, tuna, tortillas and trail mix. With some Gatorade packets. Hopefully a tenderloin supper a night or two. In that 1.5-2 pound range as well.

theleo91386

Apr 20, 2016
Never weighed it but generally enough to fill a medium cooler and an apple box. Stuff for spaghetti, half gallon of milk, breakfast sausage, buttermilk biscuits premade and wrapped, sandwich meat, condiments, Costco muffins, a bag of candy, bread, coffee, bacon, pancake mix, butter, pork chops, steak, instant potatoes, and maybe a couple of Cup o' Noodles.

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
Never weighed it but generally enough to fill a medium cooler and an apple box. Stuff for spaghetti, half gallon of milk, breakfast sausage, buttermilk biscuits premade and wrapped, sandwich meat, condiments, Costco muffins, a bag of candy, bread, coffee, bacon, pancake mix, butter, pork chops, steak, instant potatoes, and maybe a couple of Cup o' Noodles.
Sounds good! What time will it be ready? I like my bacon crispy. Lol.

I assume that's the beauty of a cabin or at least a wall tent or camper?

theleo91386

Apr 20, 2016
Sounds good! What time will it be ready? I like my bacon crispy. Lol.

I assume that's the beauty of a cabin or at least a wall tent or camper?
Food is usually served around 10:30 AM for breakfast and anywhere from about 9:00 PM to 3:00 AM for dinner, 3:00 AM dinners are what the Cup o' Noodles are for. The food I listed is my list for this year and I'm pretty sure the cook tent will be a tarp over a long pole. I am backcountry hunting so I'm limiting myself to what I can make using a pot, a pan, and a spatula over a 4 burner stove.

I'm lazy, so I'm never further than about 15 minutes from where I can expect to get into elk, never closer to the pickup than a couple hours away (so I don't have to compete with people), and never put anything on my back more than my day pack and weapon (I don't discriminate between archery and rifle hunting but the draw gods do). I'll be away from vehicles for 9 days elk hunting this year and I'm not spending all 9 days eating Mountain House stuff, MRE's, and granola, that just doesn't sound like fun to me.

tttoadman

Very Active Member
Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
13# for 10 days. That is only 2200 cal per day. I usually shed about 10lbs on a 10 day trip. Your reserves on your body are more efficient to use and carry than extra food. I am never hungry. I still usually end up bringing some out. definitely not the same for everyone.

Brianh

Jan 1, 2013
Rhinelander, WI
Same with me. Except I've stopped taking drink mixes as they are to bulky and are messy. I take one small bottle of Mio or similar to add flavor to my water bottle and use during meals. I bring in a pill bottle full of Enduralytes (a Hammer Nutrition product) for my electrolytes. That way I can drink all I want of water and take just the electolytes I need and when I need them. And I always take one in the evening so I don't get cramps in the middle of the night if I've overdone it that day.

Finsandtines

Very Active Member
Jun 16, 2015
Florida
Instant oatmeal for breakfast. Snickers/cliff bars for a am and pm snack. Trail mix and jerky for another am/pm snack. Either tuna fish or pb&j bagel sandwiches for lunch. Mountain house for dinner.
Eerily similar to mine...not sure on the weight just yet.

JMSZ

Sep 5, 2012
I tweaked my planned load a bit (it' still subject to some tweaking based on whether I can get ahold of some things I would like), up to 19lbs for the food, with bear can, hand sanitizer, 2 flasks and an aluminum spork, it puts me at 24lbs total.

I'll also be hauling 14 pounds of water up the hill with me (that's 2 1/2 days worth), which puts me at 38lbs for food and water.

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
I've got 7 days worth and am sitting at 6 lbs. I always have trouble getting my food weight/calorie right. My concern is I need double what I have but worry my hunt will become a picnic all day. ;)

mlob1one

Dec 4, 2014
I'm between 18-24oz per day.
Favorite is toasted bagels with bacon, honey, & peanut butter. Vac packed it's small & light & I'll eat a couple a day when I'm on the move.
Definitely will look at the endurolytes. Thanks for the tip.

Sent from my SPH-L710T using Tapatalk

okcaveman

Aug 21, 2016
I'm really enjoying this. I've mostly been a car/canoe camper in the past, and food has always been the big weight. learning a lot from yall on what to look for in foods and how light I can go

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas

How heavy is your food?
Just got back from my hunt. I was packed in for a total of 9 days. I was at 1.5 lbs (averaged) for each day. I only ate dehydrated for the evening. Bars for breakfast and snacks with PB, honey, tortilla and jerky for lunch.