Fishing SE WY

AT Hiker

Very Active Member
Aug 2, 2012
Tennessee
Me and a buddy are headed to the Snowys in a couple weeks. We are backpacking and will be bringing our fly rods. Any Alpine lakes you recommend we hike to and fish? We are also going down into Saratoga to soak in the hot springs a couple times during the trip so we thought about fishing the river some but not really wanting to go guided on a float trip because we are not sure of our time frame we will have. Would love to fish the Miracle Mile for no other reason than to say I fished it!

Our backpacking area will be in deer unit 79/elk 12 mainly.

Also, what type of weather up high can we possibly expect toward the end of August? Im anxiously awaiting to escape this hot and humid Southern air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tperry5

Feb 27, 2014
Wyoming
A lot of the lakes up in the snowies are great to fish, just pick one in my opinion. If you make it off the mountain at some point I'd hit up lake Hattie, can be tough but the fish are big! As for weather it can vary wildly but most likely it will be really nice out and just be prepared for occasional showers.

AT Hiker

Very Active Member
Aug 2, 2012
Tennessee
Thank you! I think Im going to pick one by a nice campground so I can do some day hiking/fishing. Then try to find one that I can do a overnight hike into.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Not in your area but fairly close- Rob Roy has great fishing for many different species. Bear creek cove is my favorite part of the lake but it is all good fishing. QT or Renegade wet or muddler/caddis on the surface both produce in the late summer and fall. Douglas creek, below the Rob Roy dam, is also pretty good with some browns up to 20". Streamers on the fly rod or spin cast lures is your best bet there. The lakes above timber line can be amazing fishing as well if your willing to hike to where others aren't. About any small fly will catch fish up there.

My favorite fishing on the mountain is by far for brook trout in the little streams. Almost every stream up there has edible size brookies and they are very easy to catch on a tiny piece of worm.

Have fun and post pics!

highplainsdrifter

Very Active Member
May 4, 2011
Wyoming
I would try the North Platte in the Snowies. It is up river from the Miracle Mile. Maybe not quite as good fishing as the Mile, but prettier with nice places to camp. You get there by taking Forest Service road 512 which runs east to west along the south edge of the Savage Run Wilderness. There is an established primitive campground (Pike Pole), plus there are numerous dispersed camping sites. If you are taking an RV, use caution on the steep downhill twisty gravel road leading to the river. I probably wouldn't take a big motorhome down there, but something medium to small size should be fine.

AT Hiker

Very Active Member
Aug 2, 2012
Tennessee
Thanks guys! I will have pictures for sure. Im looking forward to escaping this Southern humidity more and more as each day passes.

AT Hiker

Very Active Member
Aug 2, 2012
Tennessee
Just got back, had a fantastic trip. I will get some more pics when time allows. Thanks for the advice too, it really helped.
IMG_7571.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

AT Hiker

Very Active Member
Aug 2, 2012
Tennessee
Yes sir they are! Had them for dinner 4 of the 6 nights, even in the backcountry the supplemented our freeze dried meals!

Had some splake too but the small brook tasted the best.

AT Hiker

Very Active Member
Aug 2, 2012
Tennessee
Here is a youtube video of our trip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV39-Qlqx4w

We had an absolute blast, the weather was nice and cool and the fish bite was good up high. Not much luck on the Platte but it was still neat to fish it. The hot springs in Saratoga served well to mask our scent after a few days in the back country!

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
AT Hiker, I think the crew from "Alone" has there next casting call. You get two items...Jim Beam and a flyrod. Lol. You could last forever. Cool video. Love the under water Go Pro video.

AT Hiker

Very Active Member
Aug 2, 2012
Tennessee
Ha! I would need more than a pint of Beam to sleep through all those noises Alaska produces at night.

I love the gogro for capturing memories and the under water video they take is really good.