First gobbles of 2017

swampokie

Veteran member
Jul 29, 2013
Haworth Oklahoma
Heard a couple gobblers sounding off here in se Oklahoma today! Been super warm winter here and spring appears to be early as well. Anybody else hearing any gobbles? I figure some of you Dixie boys were hearin em hammerin a little by now. Give us a report

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
They've been ripping it pretty good in west central Missouri. The wife has been watching a group of about 10 sorting each other out every morning. 33 days and I'll be knockin heads in Kansas!

Wyoming Hart

Very Active Member
Oct 10, 2014
Spring Run, PA
I haven't heard any in PA but some other people have. Plenty of strutting going on though. Gobbling is getting less and less each year. I hope they aren't done before our season starts this year.

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
I remember why I hate turkeys. I roosted 4 gobblers last night. Got set up within 200 yards of them this morning. Sat there for 3 hours with them hung up at 100 yards. They gobbled well over 200 times just strutting back and forth. Hens came by and took them in the other direction. FRUSTRATING!

swampokie

Veteran member
Jul 29, 2013
Haworth Oklahoma
Get 60 yds closer in the am if you can. Let em know your there then call very little. Sometimes that last 50 to 100 yds you can sneak in closer seals the deal.
I remember why I hate turkeys. I roosted 4 gobblers last night. Got set up within 200 yards of them this morning. Sat there for 3 hours with them hung up at 100 yards. They gobbled well over 200 times just strutting back and forth. Hens came by and took them in the other direction. FRUSTRATING!

tmitch

Feb 12, 2013
Idaho
I was able to harvest my best Tom ever in SE Idaho on the 15th opener. It was pretty quiet, and he came in without saying squat. I got him though. I was able to hang him on the limb of an aspen, so i guess it counts as a limb hanger.