First Fire of the Year

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
We have them every year. This year there were 6 pairs with goslings. Several pairs nest on the island in the pond, the rest walk in from where they nested. Right now the adults have molted and cannot fly. The only trouble is that there is goose crab all over next to the pond. In the fall I've had as many as 100 or so geese on the pond. Really make a lot of noise going and coming.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
While it will be rough this year, next year it should be great for game and hunting.

I was in the Book Cliffs of eastern Utah back in 2002 when a real hot fire went through them. About a month after the fire the elk and deer were found in the burned off areas of it just chowing down on the fresh growth that was coming up. And that year and for a few years after that you wanted to hunt the burns. Now that brush is 10' high and you can't even see through it enough to find a animal in it. But they are still there.

Back when I bow hunted a lot I loved to hunt burn scars a year after they burnt. A lot of hunters would shy away from them figuring that no animal would be in them but the elk and deer loved them. During the hunts I would just hunt the fringes of the burns and or pockets of trees that were left. I tagged out every year doing that.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I have watched turkeys feeding in the freshly burned areas. Once the plants start coming back so do the bugs. The biggest problem is roost trees but as long as the larger trees still have stable limbs for them to roost on they should be fine.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Turkeys will be able to get away from the fire, but the chicks won't. I don't know if they will have a second batch like some birds do if they lose the first one.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Depends on how early they loose them. Prescribed fires are an often talked about factor of poult mortality in Georgia.

Interesting read here if you like to read. I found it very interesting.