firearm safety and hollywood

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
I guess I dont know what a blank looks like. But my wife and I were wondering with all of the ammo companies going full bore if maybe somehow a live round got "mis-packed"
I read that Baldwin and the crew were "practicing" with a revolver, shooting off the set using live ammo. It was a real gun, not a prop. A prop gun cannot chamber or fire live ammo. And why in the hell was he pointing the gun at the cinematographer and the director anyway? Just goofing around? Baldwin used the gun without inspecting it, he fired the round that killed the woman, IMO he alone is responsible for her death, no one else.

Reactions: kidoggy

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Good lord how stupid could the entire group of those people be?!

After doing some more news reading today ( if you can believe anything that is on the news these days) I would say someone is going to prison for negligent homicide.....

However as per usual, I see the new media outlets all spinning the story trying to protect this libtard actor but I dont think they are going to be able to save him if what I read was true.

I also read that the armorer was not allowed on set because of covid restrictions (once again, I read that in the news...) It was a super low budget film that he was personally directing as well. All the blame resides on his shoulders.

I know it wont bring her back but I hope that woman's husband sues Alec Baldwin for ever last nickel he has.

Loosing his fortune would be the least of his problems if it was my wife. I would be praying that he gets released from prison early....

I never did like Alec Baldwin. Obviously.

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
News reported today a lead projectile was removed from the person injured after it passes through the lady who lost her life.

How is it not standard practice to inspect all firearms by 2 trained armors and the actor useing the gun

Reactions: shootbrownelk

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
sounds to me like this "accident " was due to a lot of stupidity from at least a couple of people .

that said , sole responsibility falls square on funnyman baldwin. I have always thought him to be despicable ( du to an incident involving has daughter years ago)and a fool.

he has now proven me correct on both counts!

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
My whole thing is the concept that live ammo was allowed on-set and in the gun they were using.

You can't hold a liberal media star to the same standard of care as someone raised/trained with a gun. He's not and never said he was. The fact that live ammo was near the prop gun is the crime.

Whoever brought ammo on to the set is partially to blame.
That the prop gun could shoot live ammo is partially to blame.

Baldwin is just an idiot movie star - he was goofing around with a live gun and had no clue. There is no intent, just an OOPSIE! on his part.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
My whole thing is the concept that live ammo was allowed on-set and in the gun they were using.

You can't hold a liberal media star to the same standard of care as someone raised/trained with a gun. He's not and never said he was. The fact that live ammo was near the prop gun is the crime.

Whoever brought ammo on to the set is partially to blame.
That the prop gun could shoot live ammo is partially to blame.

Baldwin is just an idiot movie star - he was goofing around with a live gun and had no clue. There is no intent, just an OOPSIE! on his part.
Proving who is responsible in this will get interesting as the producer is usually at some level responsible for hiring the people who were in charge of gun safety....that happens to be Baldwin...

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
If the actor who is in control of the gun is too ignorant to be able to check to see if it’s loaded and what it’s loaded with, they shouldn’t be allowed to handle the gun. I would think that the last line of defense would be the actor checking the load before he pretends to be a hero.
How many people on this forum would take a gun that someone handed them, accept their word that it’s not loaded and start pointing it around. I don’t see it as acceptable, whoever pulls the trigger owns a majority of the responsibility.

• Love
Reactions: tdub24 and kidoggy

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
If the actor who is in control of the gun is too ignorant to be able to check to see if it’s loaded and what it’s loaded with, they shouldn’t be allowed to handle the gun. I would think that the last line of defense would be the actor checking the load before he pretends to be a hero.
How many people on this forum would take a gun that someone handed them, accept their word that it’s not loaded and start pointing it around. I don’t see it as acceptable, whoever pulls the trigger owns a majority of the responsibility.
Equally as such, if it was to be pointed at me, I'd want to check it myself JUST Prior to the scene. All they really need is a cap type gun. The noise can be added in special effects. I didn't know they were not already doing this.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
But the point being on a movie set there is not suppose to be any live ammo, and someone is in charge of the firearms to make sure that they are safe before a idiot picks it up and makes it go bang.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
But the point being on a movie set there is not suppose to be any live ammo, and someone is in charge of the firearms to make sure that they are safe before a idiot picks it up and makes it go bang.
I get that and agree, but I would think that you could train the idiot to make one last check.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
These are actors that we are talking about. Most of them have no idea of what real life is all about. They live in a make believe world both when they are on a movie set and off of it.

Reactions: dan maule

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The problem as I see it is that these movie sets have a procedure in place to grantee safety where firearms are concerned. When a actor or actress is handed a firearm they should know that it safe without checking it.

In this case there were a number of things that were wrong with the procedure. One was having live ammo on the set, so far that is all any of us know. I have heard a dozen different things on why it was there and why the armorer didn't check it and why the pistol was just left laying on a table. Hopefully it will come out just exactly what happened.

Just so that you know I am not a fan of Baldwin and as far as accountability is concerned there are a number of others that need to get in line and accept some.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
The problem as I see it is that these movie sets have a procedure in place to grantee safety where firearms are concerned. When a actor or actress is handed a firearm they should know that it safe without checking it.

In this case there were a number of things that were wrong with the procedure. One was having live ammo on the set, so far that is all any of us know. I have heard a dozen different things on why it was there and why the armorer didn't check it and why the pistol was just left laying on a table. Hopefully it will come out just exactly what happened.

Just so that you know I am not a fan of Baldwin and as far as accountability is concerned there are a number of others that need to get in line and accept some.
If he as a producer was responsible for procedure...this will be ugly.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
While he may be the top dog, he is also responsible to hire competent people to see that this type of thing doesn't happen. Even when there is some bad rigging I don't hear people yelling for the producers head to be sacrificed but they do go after the crew that did the rigging that either failed or was defective.

I really don't see much difference. A person died due to someones mistake. My biggest question is why was there live ammo on a movie set and who was responsible for that problem?

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
he is ,some would say , a talented actor . what if , he loaded the gun himself ??????????? stranger things have happened.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I like his new defense about not pulling the trigger.

But then that is the typical liberal excuse, it's not my fault but the guns