Finding a gym

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Been trying to find a better gym and am having issues finding one that doesn't cost 100 plus a month or doesnt expect you to be thier add campaign. I belong to a national chain but can't get help with programs or learning the equipment to its full potential.
Went to sign up with my wife at her gym for a 6 week weight loss challenge today and walked out because of all the requirements i had to do to promote thier business. Facebook and mandating posts press release and no way to opt out. Same with email adds and mailing list.

I just want to work out, sorry had to vent

Reactions: Ikeepitcold

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
We bought a stair stepper this year. It's not a full workout but I definitely see the difference scout hiking after using it a few months. Trying to add 10 steps a week til I can keep up with the kids.

Timr245

Very Active Member
Jul 21, 2016
Northcentral PA
Not sure what kind of space you have at home or your budget, but I have a very simple yet effective home gym setup with dumbells and free weights for about $1500. Buy once, own forever that way. I can list the equipment if you’re interested.

Reactions: archeranthony

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Ya my house is only 900 sq feet, keeps kids and guests from staying too long. LOl

My biggest issue is that I have no clue what I'm doing and over do it too often and then hurt myself.

Reactions: Slugz

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
I had not belonged to a gym in about 5 years. i had a surgery and joined a gym for 4 months. anytime fitness worked for me. I actually did not see to many employees there, since i was there during non staffed hours.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
For me it’s about schedule and then the core lifts. If I can do the big 4 on my schedule I’m golden, all the other lifts have hacks or body weight options.

archeranthony

Dec 10, 2018
Texas
NV i go to a chain called Fitness Connection. Not sure if they are in your area yet. Cost is $10 a month with a one time a year payment of $49. As far as knowing what to do when you are there. You have access to many guys here that probably have tons of experience. I would be more than happy to give you some basic workout routines. I used a personal trainer when i first started and it helped me alot by understanding what i was doing with each exercise and what specific muscles i was targeting.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
NV i go to a chain called Fitness Connection. Not sure if they are in your area yet. Cost is $10 a month with a one time a year payment of $49. As far as knowing what to do when you are there. You have access to many guys here that probably have tons of experience. I would be more than happy to give you some basic workout routines. I used a personal trainer when i first started and it helped me alot by understanding what i was doing with each exercise and what specific muscles i was targeting.
Agreed, Bonecollector or even THelms can help, He coached a lot of lifters.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
I have bought used equipment and stopped going to the gym last year. I bought a stair stepper, treadmill, some freeweights, a leg lift rack, and a bow flex for under $500 total. This year I bought a used concept 2 E series rower for $500. Over the years I have found that endurance is more important to me then muscle bulk up. The rower is my favorite. I can do it everyday and it is very low impact on your joints.

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Just a short update

Found a personal trainer and have been doing the couch potato to 5k at the gym ( planet fitness ) have been going steady for a month and a half. Really seeing strength and endurance increasing. I'll start hiking with a pack 2 to 3 days a week now.

Reactions: Bonecollector

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
I workout at the house in the garage. Really doesn't take much space. I have about a 10'x15' spot I do all my exercises in. Lots of free weights, body weight exercises, and olympic lifts. My wife goes to Planet Fitness, works out with a trainer there and loves it. I've just had a lot more experience lifting than she has, so getting a trainer is smart on your part. Nothing sets back your fitness routine more than getting injured... speaking from personal experience there.

And good for you sticking what you were looking for and getting after it!

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
My wife’s gum does these challenges and she has to post on FB. Definitely promoting the gym.

I myself hate gyms. I have a few machines in my garage I use or I just go to my favorite gym the mountains and get all the cardio I can stand.

bacarybroke

Jun 21, 2022
I agree about the home gym setup. If you have enough motivation to work out and have little time – it is the best variant. A gym is a nice place with a nice working atmosphere, but it is still not for everyone.
If you feel that you don’t like it there, it doesn’t mean that you need to stop working out. You just need a better space that can be your home too. You don’t even need a lot of space there.

Last edited by a moderator:

SoulJz

Oct 13, 2021
Oh, I understand you perfectly. Finding a good gym that doesn't cost too much is difficult. I also faced this problem, and I understand perfectly what you feel. I had the impression that I went to all the gyms in the city, but I didn't like any of them. But I needed to do sports because, at that time, I was taking some testosterone boosters from the Health Channel that helped me with muscle growth, but unfortunately, luck was not on my side to find a good enough gym. That's why I started doing exercises at home and running every evening. And know that the effects are as good as going to the gym. So if you want to increase your muscle mass, you can do it at home. Going to the gym is unnecessary if you do not enjoy it.

Last edited:
Reactions: ScottR

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
get a total gym.
it is what chuck Norris uses.

when chuck attends a feminist rally, he comes back with his shirt ironed and a sandwich!

• Haha
Reactions: HuskyMusky