Finding a good deer?

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
Looks like I will be returning to Wyoming this fall for Deer and antelope. In 2017 I did not fill my deer tag but my partner did with a nice 5x5 buck (mid 150's). I had several chances at small bucks and a mature 2x3. I set my goal at a mule deer that is larger than any whitetail I have killed. So that would be around a 140 inch or better. I am again hunting a region y tag. I am ok with not filling a tag and will not shoot a smaller buck just to do so. I know the go deep hunt harder normal things to do. What I was looking for is somethings others might do to find the better deer in a average region not managed for big bucks. We will have 9 to 10 days to hunt. Last time we hunted antelope first filled 6 tags before moving on to the deer. I was thinking we should start with deer this time. We came across many gut piles when we started hunting deer. I also took note of the deer at the meat processor. My partners buck was the best buck I saw there out of 50 or 60 bucks. Most were small young deer I would not consider. My goal is a 4x4 24 inch spread or better. Is my goal set to high?
We will hunt hard and cover a lot of ground. Last time I walked a total of around 43 miles. When I took my son in 2018 we made a successful 9 mile stalk on a antelope.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
You can set whatever personal goal you'd like. An area like that the small pieces might get over looked, get high and glass a little more. I won't deter you from an inch goal, in a general area or easy to draw I tell my buddies from out of state and even for myself to look for a 4-5+ year old buck. Lots of the dink 4 points get shot because they're 4 points, and the 2x3, and 3x whatevers get by.

Whatever you decide, have fun and good luck!

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Mature Mule Deer bucks are a lot smarter than most people give them credit for. They will sometimes live very close to roads or in other spots that just don't make sense. One of my favorite spots for big deer is an area that 90% of hunters drive past to get to "the good areas". Keep that in mind this fall- you just might find an easy big buck.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
I got to less than 100 yards of the 2x3. It was a mature buck. It had good mass and around 22 inch spread. My partner told me I needed to shoot the buck at 300 yards, 250 yards, 200 yards and less than 100 yards. When we finally stood up the buck just stood there as we walked by. He must have know he was safe.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
A lot smarter than we give them credit for. I remember one time there were 3 of us hunting deer in sagebrush country. We had hunted hard all morning and were hiking back to camp for lunch. I stopped to take a wizzz and they kept going. I was about 400 yards behind them and I saw a nice 4x4 stand up from his bed in the sage. He let them get a couple of hundred yards past them and then decided to head to a safer place. He had no idea I was there and I popped him at about 50 yards. Pays to look behind you too!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
A lot smarter than we give them credit for. I remember one time there were 3 of us hunting deer in sagebrush country. We had hunted hard all morning and were hiking back to camp for lunch. I stopped to take a wizzz and they kept going. I was about 400 yards behind them and I saw a nice 4x4 stand up from his bed in the sage. He let them get a couple of hundred yards past them and then decided to head to a safer place. He had no idea I was there and I popped him at about 50 yards. Pays to look behind you too!
I had about the same thing happen. A buddy and I were muzzy hunting here in Colorado and walking across a big sage brush flat. He was around 50 yards ahead of me when I saw a real nice buck stand up and start running right in front of me. I threw my muzzy up to my shoulder only to see that the sling was covering the sight. I flipped it off and took aim at the buck, I pulled the trigger only to hear a clunk. The sling was now between the hammer and the cap. I just watched that buck of a lifetime head off into the timber. My buddy couldn't figure out what all the swearing was about.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Depending on when you go the bigger bucks may be still by themselves or if later in Oct may start to stage near or with the doe groups.
I really like to hunt the last week in Oct for more mature bucks when on public ground.

GOSHENGRUNTER

Jan 8, 2014
Clermont County Ohio
Hey man! Bummer you didn't fill that tag in 17. 140" or better on public in Y is totally doable, but certainly has its challenges. We've killed some studs in Y the past few years. It's all about getting out of the truck, walking, glassing and staying patient. Realize that in Y there are alot of resident deer and alot of migratory deer passing through during the rifle season. Last year I was finding bucks everywhere but no monsters. I passed on some bucks I wish i hadn't have passed and ended up killing a smaller 3x4 on the last day. I passed 15 bucks bigger than him and misjudged his size.

I'll be out there October 13-20 this year with a group. If you're around Kaycee, give me a shout and I'll give you a tour of some of my spots. We are 100% in Y on mule deer in the last 6 years. Killed some good ones too for public land Y!

Attachments

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
Hey man! Bummer you didn't fill that tag in 17. 140" or better on public in Y is totally doable, but certainly has its challenges. We've killed some studs in Y the past few years. It's all about getting out of the truck, walking, glassing and staying patient. Realize that in Y there are alot of resident deer and alot of migratory deer passing through during the rifle season. Last year I was finding bucks everywhere but no monsters. I passed on some bucks I wish i hadn't have passed and ended up killing a smaller 3x4 on the last day. I passed 15 bucks bigger than him and misjudged his size.

I'll be out there October 13-20 this year with a group. If you're around Kaycee, give me a shout and I'll give you a tour of some of my spots. We are 100% in Y on mule deer in the last 6 years. Killed some good ones too for public land Y!
Thanks will be in the Kaycee area for opener and plan to hunt 10 or 11 days. Hope to have 3 antelope tags and deer. My partner killed his buck in 163 which is a 7 day season. We moved camp to hunt deer on the last day of season not realizing it was a 7 day unit. He killed the buck right where we planned to camp. When we stopped to back the camper in the buck was 200 yards in front of us. Got up the next morning to hunt and looking at the maps and realize we had to move camp again. There was a nice buck in the same spot at day light of course season was closed. We saw a ton of doe groups with no bucks. Here is a couple photos of his buck.20200222_174701.jpgIMG_0727.jpg