Field Judging

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
Hard to tell from the pics, but I’d put him in the 170’s. That’s giving him 100” on the frame (inside spread between the beams, main beam length and mass - 100” might be generous), 16” G2’s, 10” g3’s and 12” g4’s. That would make him about 176 plus any extras. That’s my best guess give or take 20”

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
175"-180" gross would be my guess based on the two pics. He will have significant deductions as his back forks are pretty un-even but I don't really care about net scores. Mass is very tough to gauge in those pics so wouldn't surprise me to see that score change up or down 10".

muleyfool

Jun 7, 2018
180 is probably close.
He does have deep pockets. 27”-28” wide. Medium mass.
He had a 5th on his right G3 makes him look kinda crabby.
My kids were tagged out that year and I had a different season tag so we didn’t get him on the ground to get an official score.

ridgetop

May 8, 2016
Utah
I only looked at the first picture but after looking at the second one, I think that bucks closer to 170" than 190".Probably in the low to mid 170s.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I wasn't as generous on the scoring, but clearly he was worth a closer look. These guys often don't give you the time to get closer before they disappear, but you can position yourself for another chance on the following days if you have the time.

ridgetop

May 8, 2016
Utah
Hey muleyfool,
like yourself, I love being out looking at the animals as much as I hunt them. I have a lot of video footage of different bucks my group of friends have killed over the last 6 or 7 years. I don't want to hijack your thread without permission but if you want, I can share some of my video's of bucks we have harvested or got sheds from. In which we know the score of the bucks in question.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Field judging is a hard thing to do, not to mention guessing with just a couple of pictures that are not the best angles.

Have you ever heard of "ground shrinkage?" It happens to all of us.

muleyfool

Jun 7, 2018
Hey muleyfool,
like yourself, I love being out looking at the animals as much as I hunt them. I have a lot of video footage of different bucks my group of friends have killed over the last 6 or 7 years. I don't want to hijack your thread without permission but if you want, I can share some of my video's of bucks we have harvested or got sheds from. In which we know the score of the bucks in question.
Ridgetop
Please have at it, the more the better!

muleyfool

Jun 7, 2018
Field judging is a hard thing to do, not to mention guessing with just a couple of pictures that are not the best angles.

Have you ever heard of "ground shrinkage?" It happens to all of us.
Very true Jim,
But it's the one you didn't shoot, but got a glimpse of (and I'm not referring to my pics) that is forged in our minds that make us want more...when a nice animal shows himself sometimes you don't have a lot of time to judge him. Myself, I still get a little giddy, that's usually when I make a poor decision (kind of like my first wife).;)

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I have built a habit of judging low on purpose. That said 170 class buck, hard to tell from those angles for sure though.

muleyfool

Jun 7, 2018
Nice buck!
He would look great on the wall. I'm guessing near 26.5''-27.5''outside spread. Great fronts, good mass... 187'' after deductions.