field dress torque knives

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I have literally hundreds of knives . I have a problem,I just can't seem to pass on buying them. :D I have been watching videos of the field torque knives lately. they sure look to work pretty slick on cutting the pelvis. something I always seem to struggle with.

anyone tried one yet

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I went and looked at a video of it and think that I'll just keep using my old knifes. It seamed like he had more trouble opening up the gut cavity than he really should of. The only real advantage that I saw in the short piece of the video was if you cut open the pelvic area to get the turd channel out.

Reactions: kidoggy

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I went and looked at a video of it and think that I'll just keep using my old knifes. It seamed like he had more trouble opening up the gut cavity than he really should of. The only real advantage that I saw in the short piece of the video was if you cut open the pelvic area to get the turd channel out.
opening the pelvic is the big reason ,I am looking at it .

with all the knives I own, I still find myself carrying my 40 year old, old timer folder . and for sure I ain't gonna stop now. but if the torque knife works on the pelvis as slick as video shows ,I THINK I could justify the extra weight in my kill kit for one.
just not really sure I WANT to pay 80 bucks for one. but I am impulsive with knives and likely will. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: AKaviator

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I actually pack a Leatherman that has a 3 1/2-4" sawblade that will go through it almost as fast.

But the majority of the time when I am gutting a deer sized animal or a elk I'll just cut around the b-hole and pull it out from the inside. But the last 3 or 4 elk that I have done I have just used the gutless method and never worried about it

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I actually pack a Leatherman that has a 3 1/2-4" sawblade that will go through it almost as fast.

But the majority of the time when I am gutting a deer sized animal or a elk I'll just cut around the b-hole and pull it out from the inside. But the last 3 or 4 elk that I have done I have just used the gutless method and never worried about it
been going to try the gutless meathod but I haven't yet. last few years I have been hunting mostly cow elk and can generally get them out whole or at least in halves.

going out this morning to try and find a bull for my niece. her hearts not really in it but we're gonna give it a shot anyhow.
sure is a shame when those who don't care get the good tags. :D

Reactions: Bonecollector

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
The gutless method works great, and that things looks hard to sharpen and only really useful for one thing.
I like knives that are a little more useful for many things.
I think I'll pass on this one.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
The gutless method works great, and that things looks hard to sharpen and only really useful for one thing.
I like knives that are a little more useful for many things.
I think I'll pass on this one.
so when you do the gutless meathod, are you just leaving the rib meat??