Favorite Rifle???

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
So many rifles to choose between them.

I decided a very long time ago to purchase rifles for single purpose instead of just one or two to cover everything.

My favorite all around rifle that can be used for any animal in North America and the majority of Africa would be my .340 Weatherby. If you ask for it to do a job you can consider the job done. From parrie dogs in Wyoming to the large plains game of Africa, and if legal up to Cape buffalo. With ranges all the way out to no man's land it just gets the job done.

Reactions: dan maule

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Probably my M77 (tang safety) Ruger in 25-06, bought new in 1968. I have shot over 150 deer and antelope with it and never a problem. After literally 1000's of rounds, it still shoots sub moa with my reloads. My first rifle, a sporterized 1903 Springfield, is up there too. Hard to pick one over the other. It is totally sporterized with a tigertail maple stock I made when I was about 20.Springfield 003.jpg

memtb

Other than a .223 Rem for varmints or my handguns, I only have have one hunting rifle. It is used for everything from the occasional varmint, up to moose and “if” I ever get to Africa.....everything short of pachyderms. Win. Model 70, Douglas SS Match grade barrel, McMillan stock, express sights, Leupold 3.5-10 CDS, 375 AI, presently running 250 TTSX’s @ 3130 fps . If Barnes would ever make a LRX at around 290 grains......that would be my new “do it all” bullet! ;) memtb

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
If I had to choose 1, I would say that I like my 300 WSM the most. Its a fun gun to shoot at the range.

I had a guy shooting next to me at my gun club at the 400 yard range. There are 10 benches....9 of them were open and he decided to sit next to me to shoot for whatever reason......

So I shot and he picked up his crap and moved to the other end...lol

I guess its my favorite because I saved up for so long to buy this and it was my first nice rifle setup. I would be very sad if something happened to this rifle and I would pay almost anything to replace it. VERY hard gun to find these days.

Reactions: Winchester

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
The new one I'm having built now will be my favorite.

BP REM 700 / 280 AI
Spiral fluted bolt
Skeletonized bolt handle
Trigger Tech trigger
Hawkins bottom plate
Brux SS 9T #2 contour finished at 24"
Straight flutes
D'Arcy Echols stock
Talley rings w/anti cant bubble
Leupold VX5 HD
All parts black cerakote
Olive drab w/black webbing stock

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
The new one I'm having built now will be my favorite.

BP REM 700 / 280 AI
Spiral fluted bolt
Skeletonized bolt handle
Trigger Tech trigger
Hawkins bottom plate
Brux SS 9T #2 contour finished at 24"
Straight flutes
D'Arcy Echols stock
Talley rings w/anti cant bubble
Leupold VX5 HD
All parts black cerakote
Olive drab w/black webbing stock

Dang you really went all out on that one! Cant wait to see some pictures of it.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I recently had a custom .28 Nosler built and I really like it.
However; my "all time" favorite has to be my Dad's Winchester Model 70, 30-06 built in 1952.
No telling how many hunts he, then I, took that rifle on and it always gets the job done.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
I have several newer rifles that are fantastic, but my all time favorite is my Browning BLR .308. My dad bought it about the time I was born, I “borrowed” it my freshman year of college and have not returned it for over 20 years now. Fast handling, accurate, and it just “feels right” coming to the shoulder. I have killed truckloads of game with it, though it hasn’t barked in a year or two.

Vinootz

Mar 22, 2020
If I had to choose 1, I would say that I like my 300 WSM the most. Its a fun gun to shoot at the range.

I had a guy shooting next to me at my gun club at the 400 yard range. There are 10 benches....9 of them were open and he decided to sit next to me to shoot for whatever reason......

So I shot and he picked up his crap and moved to the other end...lol

I guess its my favorite because I saved up for so long to buy this and it was my first nice rifle setup. I would be very sad if something happened to this rifle and I would pay almost anything to replace it. VERY hard gun to find these days.

View attachment 29696
I had a somewhat similar situation once. Let me say first that it makes no difference to me if someone sits next to me when all the other stations are empty. However,if it's one of those meddling types that start making unwarranted suggestions or comments, a WSM may be a good solution. My 325wsm rifles with muzzle brakes motivated one of the aforementioned types to move to the other end of the range. Granted I did start shooting much faster 5 round strings with both rifles back to back; to tune his senseless comments out. Prior to that I was shooting very slow 3 shot groups and 15 minute barrel cooling periods between rifles. Apparently it accomplished more than were my intentions. LOL As for a favorite? I love them all when they are satisfying their purpose. Other than that I’d have to say my Deluxe rifles- and again it’s not any one in particular. Heck I’m still in my glory when I shoot my 30-30 and it’s the least precise firearm I own. Go figure.

Last edited:

Mr Drysdale

Mar 24, 2013
The question is thought provoking. I don’t keep rifles that I don’t or won’t shoot (other than antiques passed down) but have a safe full. All have an intended purpose or use. If I had to bug out I would grab my Tikka T3 SL in 7RM. My favorite to shoot is my Browning A-Bolt in 260 Rem. My favorite bean field rifle is my Browning HCS in 300 WM. Lots of favorites.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
I have not seen very many rifles I did not like, I like some more than others but being a gun nut I have been able to justify owning almost all rifles. That being said I guess the gun I use the most is a Mark V Alaskan in 300 wby. Very reliable, accurate and one hell of a killing machine.