Favorite mule deer bullet?

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
After reading the June July issue from Eastmans and the article on elk bullets, I was wondering what everyone liked for mule deer? I run federal 180 grain Barnes bullet out of my .300 win. for elk .Just wondering what everyone liked

Reactions: memtb

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
It really doesn't take much to take down a mule deer. The skin is thin and while the shoulder bone is heavy just about any bullet made will punch through it.

I personally like controlled expansion bullets as you can see from the above post.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Winchester 150 grain silvertips for me. It works pretty good so far and is very accurate out of my 300 WSM. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot an elk with these out to that range even though some may say it doesn't weigh enough. I wouldnt try it any further than that on an elk an besides I keep all of my shots under 400 yards and under anyways.

Killed a whitetail buck right at 400 yards and the bullet was stuck under the hide on the other side so I know for sure it is good for that range.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
My go to the last few years has been the .300 Win Mag ELD-x, 200 grain precision hunter as my all around gun. Kills elk and deer no problem.

However, Ike talked me into the 6.5 Creedmoor recently...

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
My go to the last few years has been the .300 Win Mag ELD-x, 200 grain precision hunter as my all around gun. Kills elk and deer no problem.

However, Ike talked me into the 6.5 Creedmoor recently...
[/QUOTE

So future pics in the mag will show your new man bun?

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
One rifle 7 RM and 2 bullets for me. 150 grain Core-Lokt for deer and antelope and 175 grain for elk.
I've never had a problem with this combo in nearly 40 years. (y)

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
So would you guys say a controlled expansion bullet over a high expansion bullet?
Yes I strongly suggest that simply to save some meat. Rapid expansion bullets cause more meat loss in my opinion and also increase your chances of fragments in your meat a long ways from the impact area. They do tend to bang flop deer though if that is #1 priority.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
I'm shooting a .243 for everything now due to health related issues. I shoot Barnes TTSX , Hornady GMX and Nosler E-tips. All are 80/85 grain bullets. The Barnes are the most accurate in my rifle.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
I've used 180 grn barnes tripple shock for many years in my 300 wby. Pretty hard to beat their performance on impact, not the most accurate bullet out there though.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I've used 180 grn barnes tripple shock for many years in my 300 wby. Pretty hard to beat their performance on impact, not the most accurate bullet out there though.
That's where people need to play around with loads, to find what works best.

When I was first sighting in my, 340 I had some factory Weatherby Barnes 225 X bullets and after the first 5 shots with them I looked at the target and thought that I had a couple of fliers but it was still a tight group.

After looking at it closer I saw that the two that I thought were fliers had actually cut through a existing hole.

That settled it for me and I started to duplicate that factory load as close as I could. I even went as far as pulling a bullet out and weighing the powder load.

I now have a load that shoots a sub moa 5 shot group at 250 yards where it is sighted in at, and my best group at that range is just under 1/2 inch with 225 grain TTSX bullets at 3000 fps

memtb

After reading the June July issue from Eastmans and the article on elk bullets, I was wondering what everyone liked for mule deer? I run federal 180 grain Barnes bullet out of my .300 win. for elk .Just wondering what everyone liked
Wife.....225 TTSX from .338 WM, Me.....250 TTSX from .375 AI. Sorry..... that’s all we have to hunt with! ;) If anyone asks.....same answer from Pronghorns to Moose! One rifle, one bullet, one zero......all game! We follow the “KISS “ philosophy!

If I’m using my handgun, a 400 grain cast bullet will be used for all game.....just like the rifle! memtb

Last edited:

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
That's where people need to play around with loads, to find what works best.

When I was first sighting in my, 340 I had some factory Weatherby Barnes 225 X bullets and after the first 5 shots with them I looked at the target and thought that I had a couple of fliers but it was still a tight group.

After looking at it closer I saw that the two that I thought were fliers had actually cut through a existing hole.

That settled it for me and I started to duplicate that factory load as close as I could. I even went as far as pulling a bullet out and weighing the powder load.

I now have a load that shoots a sub moa 5 shot group at 250 yards where it is sighted in at, and my best group at that range is just under 1/2 inch with 225 grain TTSX bullets at 3000 fps
I have found it hard to match the Weatherby factory ammo ballistics. There is not a lot of reloading data out there that duplicates the factory ammo ballistics. Your method of pulling the bullet and weighing the powder is also what I did. The problem I had when I was first reloading was I could not get the Norma MRP, so I settled on Reloader 22 and had to play around a while. At the time, RL 22 was the slowest burning powder they offered that according to the data I could find, came close to factory ballistics. Now I have just stuck with the loads I developed with RL 22. At some point in the future when I have more time I plan on playing around with some of the newer, slower burning powders.
My loads aren't as accurate as you mentioned above, but I am not sure if that is my lack of shooting ability or the ammo.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I use Reloader 25 in my Wby. But my Weatherby is not a factory rifle.

A friend of my Dad's got too old to hunt and gave me the rifle. It was bought from a custom smith in the early 60's. It has a commercial Mauser action. When I got it the barrel was gone so I rebarreled it with a Shilen premium match stainless barrel. I also decreased the freebore, so it shoots a lot different from factory Weatherbys. I get sum moa groupd out to 500 yards, which is as far as I have shot it.

Reactions: dan maule