Fall Planting

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Preparing the table.
Mowed last week.

Tilled 5 diff plots throughout the property.
I don’t actually sit over any of these plots until late season. But it’s a good way to funnel wildlife through the farm.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Plan is to lime and fertilize early this week and plant by the weekend. I use a variety of products from Whitetail Institute and I’ve always had great success.

Reactions: Prerylyon

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Sounds about right. From time to time, I help a couple of my archer buddies with all that; along with pruning shooting lanes, putting up game cameras; retrieving memory sticks. Its that time of the yr.👍

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
mustang,
Look for products that require little sunshine to grow. There are several products that work well where only 2-3 hours of sunlight or limited amount of light shines through due to canopy cover. Whitetail Institute offers a few products. 3rd year for me and all plots have done well with the exception of 1, but I didn't have time to properly prep and rushed it in.

Reactions: mustang8

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
In the shaded areas I found that durana worked pretty well. It keeps it from burning up. Once the stuff roots its pretty good clover.

Reactions: mustang8

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Seed sown over the weekend. We’ll see how it goes. Looks like good weather for the next 10 days so the seed should get off to a good start Also changed a few camera chips and got a few interesting pictures

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Luckily I just happen to catch this while quickly scanning the pictures last night. If you look in the background you will see the rack of a buck in an opening with The only way I picked it up initially was and there is something moving in and out of the frame as I toggled back-and-forth. Nice to see he hung around for 10 minutes before getting up and moving on.
27920in the trees.

Last edited:

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I disked up a shooting land to plot last weekend and looked back and 4 deer where jumping around playing in the fresh dirt. Its funny how deer are scared out of their minds by a 4 wheeler but come to the noise of a chainsaw or a tractor.

Semi-related but I know a guy who killed a moose every year in Canada rifle season.

He told me he would go to the woods and cut a load of firewood and keep his rifle with him while running the saw. He said every year a moose would walk right up to him and he would shoot it and then take the moose and a load of wood home with him.
I didn't believe him at first but after seeing a similar incident with my own eyes I can agree they are curious animals.

Reactions: Bonecollector