Exploring new tech in big game recovery

Stay Sharp

Very Active Member
Oct 6, 2015
WI
From what I see watching the videos, it looks like a poachers dream come true. A system ripe for abuse. Pass.
You will not be mandated to use such a service. You will still have free will and can say no. I intend to use this service with conservation wardens participating in carcass recoveries whenever they are available (as the dept. seem interested in this.)

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
"In the meantime, Im contacting local law enforcement and public safety to offer this tool as an asset to them should the need arise. "
Um yeah. I'm sure the local authorities will be chomping at the bit to get in on this. NOT ;)
They most certainly have more pressing things to take care of than looking for somebody's lost deer.
This is a solution to a problem that does not need fixing.
If we lose a deer we lose a deer, it happens sometimes because that's just the way it is. We certainly don't need MORE technology for hunting.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Remember the heat trackers that came out 20+ years ago that could follow a animal?

I actually thought of buying one.

Stay Sharp

Very Active Member
Oct 6, 2015
WI
Um yeah. I'm sure the local authorities will be chomping at the bit to get in on this. NOT ;)
They most certainly have more pressing things to take care of than looking for somebody's lost deer.
You are mistaken. LOL local public safety and police and fire and rescue would want aid looking for a person or people. LOL We have had two such cases recently and a local town sheriff's office, Captain called me to say that He wants to work with me and that I should contact the other local municipalities. You didnt seriously think those entities were interested in deer did you? :LOL::ROFLMAO:

I live in a very small town. There are several small villages and towns here that dont have the budget for this asset. That is why Im working with them, not for locating deer for them.

A month ago, A guy tried to kill somebody in (I think Nebraska) He drove to the town live in and for some reason was confronted by local sheriffs deputies. he shot two of them and fled on foot into the woods at night.

Are you catching on now???

He was hiding less than a mile from my house in the woods by the Home depot. The Captain said they had 100 officers searching.

The other recent case was a suicide The guy left a note, took a ton of pills and walked out the back door and left the door open. It took a while to file his body. The Captain said those are just two cases where he wished he would have known about my thermal drone.

I live within 20 miles of many small towns a villages that dont have this tech. This is not just something I bought to find big game. There are a few other profit centers to be had from this drone.

Last edited:

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
This is pretty interesting, where I hunt whitetails in South Texas the brush is extremely thick, thorny and hard to navigate. There are dozens of guys who have tracking dogs and will come out to track a deer for $3-$400. I could see how this could have a lot of potential down here.

Reactions: Stay Sharp

Stay Sharp

Very Active Member
Oct 6, 2015
WI
This is pretty interesting, where I hunt whitetails in South Texas the brush is extremely thick, thorny and hard to navigate. There are dozens of guys who have tracking dogs and will come out to track a deer for $3-$400. I could see how this could have a lot of potential down here.
Dog locators are common in the midwest. Yes, $300-$400 is the going rate. They dont want to feed the yotes, wolves, bears, foxes, crows, etc. They want the meat. They want the antlers

Stay Sharp

Very Active Member
Oct 6, 2015
WI
A still photo from a deer I recently arrowed. The drone was not at all required for this 65 yard recovery but I put the drone in the air a half hour after the deer was dead to get some practice. I flew around the carcass a bit to look at it from diff angles.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
with transporter technology coming into play ,the drone will soon be obsolete.
we will be able to just beam the deer straight to the freezer.
live long and prosper!

Reactions: Stay Sharp

Stay Sharp

Very Active Member
Oct 6, 2015
WI
with transporter technology coming into play ,the drone will soon be obsolete.
we will be able to just beam the deer straight to the freezer.
live long and prosper!
I wonder if that will be a roll out coming from the ATA virtual show this last week. Sounds pretty cool.

Stay Sharp

Very Active Member
Oct 6, 2015
WI
I think 24hourcampfire would be a good fit for him. ;)
Im there but there are very very few actual bowhunters there. Lots of talkers but not many bowhunters. ITs hard to find a harvest pic of an animal killed with a bow over there. Its a very very entertaining group though.

Last edited:

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Im there but there are very very few actual bowhunters there. Lots of talkers but not many bowhunters. ITs hard to find a harvest pic of an animal killed with a bow over there. Its a very very entertaining group though.
can't speak to the entire forum but ya gotta love the boobie thread

Stay Sharp

Very Active Member
Oct 6, 2015
WI
I rarely post there. Mostly in the bowhunting area. Lots of guys that clearly dont bowhunt but have strong opinions about it. Lots of crossers there.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I rarely post there. Mostly in the bowhunting area. Lots of guys that clearly dont bowhunt but have strong opinions about it. Lots of crossers there.
today was the first time I visited that site so can't speak to that. will only say I have no particular opinions about stick slingers other then to say I am for any form of hunting that is legal.
may not always be something I would do personally but so long as it is legal ,I have no issues with others who want to.

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Gotta keep a thick skin.

The idea of folks using this as a scouting and hunting tool is real.

I think its great for finding and recovering deer - lotsa folks lose em and often the dogs just keep running them. So, say you bump the wounded deer, you can find where it is bedded with drone and then check 4-6-10 hours later. Verify it is there and then sneak in real slow.

Sounds good to me.

Stay Sharp

Very Active Member
Oct 6, 2015
WI
Gotta keep a thick skin.

The idea of folks using this as a scouting and hunting tool is real.

I think its great for finding and recovering deer - lotsa folks lose em and often the dogs just keep running them. So, say you bump the wounded deer, you can find where it is bedded with drone and then check 4-6-10 hours later. Verify it is there and then sneak in real slow.

Sounds good to me.
Scouting (no weapons present) looking for trails, stand sites, is perfectly legal here. Using it to locate game to then put the stalk on, is not legal. My use and my working with the DNR will be for carcass recovery. In my usage plan its clearly stated that If locate the animal and its established that its still alive, I return to the landing pad. If they want me to look again later, I would. Initially this will be misunderstood. Some might object (I wont care) THat sort with limited horizons, bore me.

Last edited: