End of another years hunting red deer

Jul 13, 2016
G'day guys,

The red skins are just starting to cast here which brings a sort of closure tp the season for me until next year.

I've been chasing one big boy since velvet and have been getting closer and closer to him. Finally this weekend it happened...well kinda.

I don't have time for the full story but pretty much my gsp began indicating deer and I followed up her scenting for maybe 200m. The wind changed and she lost the scent which gave away where it must have been coming from.

I heard a cracking stick and knew I was on them. I inched forward and out they burst from the thick scrub. In the heat of the moment I saw antler, followed and fired. After the shot I realised I'd shot the wrong one!

I watched as the big boy disappeared into the bush and was left kicking myself.

The stag I shot is nice, albeit too young (4-6 yo). Just the kind of stag that needs to be left another few years. At least my dog worked well and I got some prime venison Though!

As I was carrying the head out it slipped from my grasp and SNAP! Both antlers fell off, reckon the poor bugger was only days from dropping. One of the big boys I saw had already cast so I think it's time to hang up the boots for another year.

This weekend I'll have one last crack at fallow then it's on to fishing and calling in foxes and hares with the bow until next Feb when the stags strip.

Happy hunting,

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk

NE69

Jan 6, 2013
Southwest Nebraska
Aussie, can you enlighten us a little more on the interaction of your gsp with your hunting style? That really is interesting to me as I had one I took archery mule deer hunting with me all the time and observed some different reactions versus not having a dog along while walking the hills. Thanks

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
Aussie, can you enlighten us a little more on the interaction of your gsp with your hunting style? That really is interesting to me as I had one I took archery mule deer hunting with me all the time and observed some different reactions versus not having a dog along while walking the hills. Thanks
im interested in this as well. I had a ches/lab I used as an antler dog, i had him up in mountains one time looking for an elk my buddy made a bad shot on and lost its blood trail. the dog found it but what i found interesting was the dog was trained to stay within 50 yrds from me and as she worked shed run zig zag patterns running a pointed section, tail always wagging. well, all the sudden her tail dropped and her nose hit the ground like a hound, instead of sniffing wind and she hit a straight line. i watched her then seen her sit down which was odd to me, then all the sudden a 5x5 elk stood up right next to the dog, she didn't bark (i assumed she would) just sat there. i hit my whistle and she shot right back to me and the elk didn't seem to give a damn. started feeding and walking. seems like when i have my dogs working and we come across game the game appeared more calm.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Thanks for sharing! Great pics and great looking dog! I'm also interested in the dog interaction comments. Thanks again, great to have you here on the forum!

Jul 13, 2016
No worries mate,

Basically we train them to work 1-10 metres on front of us with the wind to try and catch the scent of deer. Seeing as pretty much 99% of hunting in Australia is stalking through thick bush it's really helpful.

When they hit the scent you'll notice them either "air scenting" which is preferable or "ground scenting". Essentially sniffing the air or sniffing the ground.

You then want them to lead you to the deer without pushing off too far or getting distracted by other sights and smells all the while obeying your commands be it heel, stay, etc.

For example this hunt I spent the first hour skirting the patch where I thought the deer would be until the wind was perfect them hunted back and let Ellie follow her nose and lead me to them.

After the shot we use them for tracking wounded in downed game as well.

To get them to hunt for you, obey you commands, stay within range and not chase or focus on roos while off the lead can take two or three years.

Very frustrating but definitely worth it in the end.

I use her for birds as well but that's nothing compared to the challenge of training them for big game.

I'll try to upload a video

Sent from my D6653 using Tapatalk