Elk Unit 35 Success

Bigtex

Oct 3, 2013
Being in no mans land and point creep with preference points we decided to hunt Unit 35 this year Type 1. It was a hard decision, since we had 7 PP. We decided to hunt the special archery season due to an General Deer Season during the rifle hunt. It was a very exciting and heart breaking hunt. There were three of us in our group and we ended up with one decent 6x6 bull around 300 and we had chances at two 350 class bulls that just didn't work out. One of these 350 bulls was within 40 yards.

There are a lot of roads in this unit, but using OnX really helped to get away from the crowd. We utilized the closed/non-motorized trails for the most part, walking 4-6 miles per day. We found elk almost everyday once we got off of the main roads. We had a lot working against us during this hunt, full moon, warm/changing weather (92 degrees one day, hail and snowing the next), windy (65 mph gusts one day) and I don't think they were really in full rut yet. All in all it was a good hunt. The unsuccessful hunters are debating on going back for the rifle hunt starting 10/15 since we saw some really good bulls. I am guessing that the hunting in the rifle season will be very different.

Attachments

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Congrats on the bull BigTex. Too bad it didn't work out on the others, but that's the way it goes when hunting (personal experience talking here)
Thanks for sharing!

Reactions: Bigtex

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Even at one for three, you beat the archery odds. If your buds can find the time, I think they should definitely head back out for the rifle season. Expect more hunters and some more snow, so it may seem like an entirely different hunt. The successful hunter may want to tag along too...he can still be a pack mule. Congrats

Reactions: Mnbogboy and Bigtex

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
7 years worth of points... I would make the rifle hunt happen. Congrats on a good archery bull. 1 out of 3 is better than the average- even for the guys that live there. Archery elk hunting is hard.

Reactions: Mnbogboy and Bigtex

Kevin W

Jan 26, 2013
Being in no mans land and point creep with preference points we decided to hunt Unit 35 this year Type 1. It was a hard decision, since we had 7 PP. We decided to hunt the special archery season due to an General Deer Season during the rifle hunt. It was a very exciting and heart breaking hunt. There were three of us in our group and we ended up with one decent 6x6 bull around 300 and we had chances at two 350 class bulls that just didn't work out. One of these 350 bulls was within 40 yards.

There are a lot of roads in this unit, but using OnX really helped to get away from the crowd. We utilized the closed/non-motorized trails for the most part, walking 4-6 miles per day. We found elk almost everyday once we got off of the main roads. We had a lot working against us during this hunt, full moon, warm/changing weather (92 degrees one day, hail and snowing the next), windy (65 mph gusts one day) and I don't think they were really in full rut yet. All in all it was a good hunt. The unsuccessful hunters are debating on going back for the rifle hunt starting 10/15 since we saw some really good bulls. I am guessing that the hunting in the rifle season will be very different.
Hello Bigtex, how did the rifle hunters do?