Elk shanks

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
I read an article somewhere about how people waste the shanks of our game animals into the burger meat. It said that cooked properly they were delicious. I know how much my wife and I like beef shanks slow cooked.
So my question is whether any of you guys cook them like slow braised beef shanks and how are they?

Umpqua Hunter

Veteran member
May 26, 2011
North Umpqua, Oregon
We just got a sous vide cooker and I was thinking how I'd like to try venison shanks. My dad used to slow roast deer shanks all the time when I was young. It's been a long time, but I recall it was one of his favorites.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
I have a buddy who slow cooks his shanks. It is his personal favorite. Been meaning to try it, but have not yet.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
in a crock pot put whatever meat you want.
1 au jus foil packets
2 brown gravy foil packet
1 onion soup foil packet
small can of jarred garlic
can of budlight or anyother cheap light beer
combine and cook for 8 hours.
pull meat apart and serve on rolls with horseradish.

shanks, front shoulders, neck meat, rib meat, I have done this to 6-7 species of animals, always comes out good. my employess like it, to the point they ask me to bring it in for them.

Fish

Jul 8, 2011
WA State
I made some awesome reindeer shanks this summer at our field camp on ST Paul island AK. I helped my native friend pack the meat out and he thought I was crazy to ask for the shanks. I did get a little of the back straps also. I had a large jar of Indian curry in my locker and some leftover pasta sauce. I browned the shanks and placed them in a shallow pan with some soften onions. I poured the curry sauce and some of the past sauce over them and covered and cooked them for about 6 hr on 250. Awesome.
Made me the winner of the shank-off, but beating two vege gals in this contest, wasn't much of a test of my wild game cooking ability. They turned their shanks into what I called prison soup.
I have some shanks from my ram and a cow elk I shot and will be cooking them soon.

Iron Mike

Oct 23, 2014
Tumalo, Oregon
You guys got my mouth watering. I dont know why but I have never tried cooking wild game shanks. For the life of me I dont know what I have been thinkin! I love to cook lamb and beef shanks. This thread turned on the light bulb or slapped me in the face - all those shanks wasted! Will not happen any more. Thanks guys!!!