Elk rifle recommendations

GKPrice

Aug 9, 2015
I'd suggest the max range any rifle is good for is based on the bullet selected, assuming the shooter is capable. After bullet, I look to the altitude I will use it at. For me, the max range is based off the min velocity the bullet is recommended for, with a 5-10% cushion, for broadside shots at the altitude I'll hunt, or 600 yards, which ever is less. Most of the time it is 600 yards. Looking to bullet impact velocity gives me better info than some of the old footpounds rules, in terms of the bullet expanding, creating a decent wound channel, and actually transferring some energy.

So in my opinion, the answer will vary quite a bit, based on bullet selection/altitude. For elk, I lean towards a SD in my bullet of around .260+, which accounts for the quartering shot, so shot angle is not a dominant variable in my calculus... With the advent of ultra LR hunting, there are more bullets available that open at lower velocity than ever before. The bullet my LR rifle likes is rated for a min. of 1,600 fps as I recall. My LR set up is a .280 with a Barnes 145gr. LRX at a MV of over 3,000. The SD is not quite .260, its .257, but the Barnes gives me confidence to penetrate, due to it's construction.

My two cents anyway.
Tim, I like where your head's at ! IF you can't get inside 600 yards you probably aren't hunting, you're shootin'

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Tim, I like where your head's at ! IF you can't get inside 600 yards you probably aren't hunting, you're shootin'
Pretty much agree. In all the years I've hunted, only one shot over 400, was a mule deer at 415. Took me a while to decide to shoot that far, but once the rifle settled, it got real quiet, everything felt good and the gun went off... But lots of game taken between 325-385, and most of the rest under 225 or so. But I decided to get one rifle set up for the 600 max. So far every time I've carried it, all shots at BG under 300, go figure. I did smoke a prairie dog at 450 last year, first shot kill, as a sort of proof of concept under field conditions I guess. I'm fortunate, my gun clubs longest range is 600.

GKPrice

Aug 9, 2015
Pretty much agree. In all the years I've hunted, only one shot over 400, was a mule deer at 415. Took me a while to decide to shoot that far, but once the rifle settled, it got real quiet, everything felt good and the gun went off... But lots of game taken between 325-385, and most of the rest under 225 or so. But I decided to get one rifle set up for the 600 max. So far every time I've carried it, all shots at BG under 300, go figure. I did smoke a prairie dog at 450 last year, first shot kill, as a sort of proof of concept under field conditions I guess. I'm fortunate, my gun clubs longest range is 600.
Tri County ?

Catahoula12

Very Active Member
Apr 26, 2013
Loveland, CO. was AZ.
I typically carry my Savage 111 in .270 Win. for all my elk and deer hunting. I have no weight complaints from carrying it around Colorado and Arizona mountainous areas. Never any issues dropping elk or deer with it. I'm certain I paid under $400 for it new. Has accutrigger as well. It's also a tack driver.. Accurate.