Elk hunting pack question

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Lot of mixed review packs on the market, but no matter the need, it appears Kifaru and Exo are at the top of the heap.
If given the opportunity, try before you buy. Fit is key

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Without going into too much detail, we have a pack review coming up and it should cover most of the brands mentioned.

Above all else, fit is king. If you guys are interested I will put together a YouTube video talking about pack fit and how to get the most out of your pack.

jerm8352

Jul 24, 2013
I would love that. Thanks for all the help. I don’t know how I would try on all the different packs but would like to before dropping the kind of money we are taking.

BAKPAKR

May 10, 2018
I have used a variety of Kifaru packs for about 15 years for all of my hunting. The frame that came with my old Longhunter Guide and my newer tactical frame fit me great. Both handle heavy loads with ease and neither have been a hindrance in the woods. The tactical frame with a Woodsman bag worked well for me last fall. I keep eyeing Exo and Stone Glacier packs, but I will probably just stick with Kifaru.

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
exo daypack 2000 might fit your needs. $524
For the type of hunting the OP described, this would be my recommendation as well. This or the MR Pinter or similar. I?ve tried a lot of packs too. Kifaru is a solid choice but if you aren?t packing camp in I would go with one of the day packs with a good load sling/ shelf. I picked up my MR Pinter for around $300 on clearance. My Kifaru was north of $1K. It?s a no brainer for me when you?re talking that kind of price difference. My MR carries weight just fine for the pack outs that are usually within a few miles from the truck. It all depends on your hunting style.

BAKPAKR

May 10, 2018
For the type of hunting the OP described, this would be my recommendation as well. This or the MR Pinter or similar. I?ve tried a lot of packs too. Kifaru is a solid choice but if you aren?t packing camp in I would go with one of the day packs with a good load sling/ shelf. I picked up my MR Pinter for around $300 on clearance. My Kifaru was north of $1K. It?s a no brainer for me when you?re talking that kind of price difference. My MR carries weight just fine for the pack outs that are usually within a few miles from the truck. It all depends on your hunting style.
Although I am big Kifaru fan, I must confess that I would be trying out an Exo K2 2000 as my day hunting pack if my torso were an inch or so shorter. It does appear to check all of the boxes.

jerm8352

Jul 24, 2013
Although I am big Kifaru fan, I must confess that I would be trying out an Exo K2 2000 as my day hunting pack if my torso were an inch or so shorter. It does appear to check all of the boxes.
I have a 21.5 in torso so that also is a big factor. I contacted all the major companies and Exo told me to wait until their new packs are revealed with my long torso.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I have a 21.5 in torso so that also is a big factor. I contacted all the major companies and Exo told me to wait until their new packs are revealed with my long torso.
yes. they(exo) told me they were coming out with a fit for longer torso. around end of may or so.

I have 21' torso and the old packs fit me fine but I am just about at the end of the adjustment capability.

eastmont

Feb 28, 2014
I use a Osprey Argos 85. Had one zipper break, and they fixed it. Over the last 8 years, I have hauled probabaly 8 deer, and 6 elk out in it. Shoulder and waist strap cushioning that other companys only dream of. Downside: it is heavy.

jerm8352

Jul 24, 2013
What about Seek Outside? Never really thought much about them until this last week and they seem to have the closest to what I’m loooking for and are cheaper than Kifaru which was closest before.

Micah S

Jan 11, 2016
Sandy Oregon
What about Seek Outside? Never really thought much about them until this last week and they seem to have the closest to what I’m loooking for and are cheaper than Kifaru which was closest before.
Seekoutside makes a great pack. Their packs fit me better then any other pack made. The only downside I've found with them is that the material that they are made from can be a little loud. received_2076619479276806.jpg

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Went with the Kifaru Duplex Lite 1/8" and a Fulcrum Pack.

Now I'll be a real killer with an expensive backpack and an expensive set of binoculars. I need one of those quilt thingy's and a flat brimmed hat, and my own youtube channel. Like a big boy. lol

Seriously though. It was a needed purchase. The last time I backpacked in I felt like someone was sticking a sword in each of my shoulders and my hip bones felt like I got ran over by a tractor.

I hope these packs are what they say they are. That was a lot of coin for me to drop on a backpack.

The swaro 15's were worth it though...so hopefully I am getting what I pay for here as well.

jerm8352

Jul 24, 2013
Let me know what you think of it. I think I am narrowed down to either Kifaru or Seek Outside. Just trying to see if the extra weight and money with the Kifaru is worth it

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Let me know what you think of it. I think I am narrowed down to either Kifaru or Seek Outside. Just trying to see if the extra weight and money with the Kifaru is worth it
Depending on which pack AND THE ACCESSORIES, the Kifaru may be cheaper. When I narrowed down the two packs I was considering, the Kifaru was cheaper believe it or not...
I posted my analysis on this about 18-24 months ago.

jerm8352

Jul 24, 2013
Depending on which pack AND THE ACCESSORIES, the Kifaru may be cheaper. When I narrowed down the two packs I was considering, the Kifaru was cheaper believe it or not...
I posted my analysis on this about 18-24 months ago.
I actually just kinda figured this out. However, Seek Outside also has the ability to go with a 28in frame and with my height and torso length that might be the deal breaker. I also kind of like the design of their packs better than the comparable price Kifaru ones.