Elk hunting must haves

CForest

Nov 8, 2015
Richland MT
I drew a coveted Missouri breaks bull tag with rifle. I have hunted elk quite a bit but mostly archery or cow tags also in the breaks. So I have a lot of gear, but a most of it is "middle" grade if you will. For example I have vortex diamondback binos which are great for $200 but if I spend consecutive weeks looking for the bull of a lifetime I probably will want something better? I know this can turn very expensive in a real hurry. So my question is what are some things that are must haves? I already plan on upgrading some stuff. Good hiking boots are #1 on my list, but after that what are some things that I should really try to improve on to make my hunt as problem free as possible and my best chances at success? Any suggestion is a good one, thanks!

toadmeister

Nov 28, 2015
NE Iowa
I got similar Vortex binocs, damn good for the money. I'd say keep those and spring the coin for a good spotting scope instead?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
Congrats on your tag! I have a vortex 11x33x50 spotter I really like it! Great boots are a must also. That mud is gumbo out there. I hunt the southern area of the breaks and just came back from there! Keep us posted on your progress.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The first thing I would ask is can you get up high where using a spotting scope would be of value to me instead of just binoculars, and while you have been hunting cow elk have you seen any bulls with just the binoculars? I have hunted elk in Utah and Colorado now for close to 40 years and I still don't have a spotting scope and have bagged my fair share of elk, better than most averages. You just need to know what you are looking for. Higher end binoculars won't help you find elk but they will help in low light conditions and can be used other times.

So I would break it down this way. Boots, but then if you have been elk hunting before you quite possibly have a good pair if not get some and get them broke in. Back pack, one that you can put 100 lbs on and hike out of where you are hunting and be fairly comfortable doing it. Game bags, I like reusable ones made out of tent canvas but again if you have shot a cow elk before you should have some already.

The big thing is to get out there scouting as much as you can to find that bull and pattern him. Find out where he lives but also expect for him to move once the rifle hunts get here.

CForest

Nov 8, 2015
Richland MT
I do have a standard viper spotting scope. The non HD version. It's not even close to a razor, but I do like it quite a bit. Historically just spot game from the road with it and leave it at the truck. It is certainly too big for packing. I have my eye on some Sitka gear, really want to be comfortable in a wide range of conditions but wow that is some spendy stuff. The good news is my wife has a cow tag also, so whatever I can't sell of my current stuff she gets to use. So that helps win her over a bit ha! Really just want to start looking and thinking about things now, so when a deal comes up between now and then I'll be able to jump on it!

CForest

Nov 8, 2015
Richland MT
My experience in the breaks with spotting scopes is mainly early morning/late evening when the elk are feeding in meadows and on ridges. It's pretty choppy ground and most of the glassing is done walking ridgelines and glassing across on either side. But maybe that is more personal preference. As far as the boots go I have some OK ones from cabelas. $80 boots. Up till now they were ok for 3-4 day hunts but my feet are typically hurting pretty good at that point. My biggest issue is my feet sweat so bad, do you guys have any suggestions there? Danner pronghorns any good?

toadmeister

Nov 28, 2015
NE Iowa
My experience in the breaks with spotting scopes is mainly early morning/late evening when the elk are feeding in meadows and on ridges. It's pretty choppy ground and most of the glassing is done walking ridgelines and glassing across on either side. But maybe that is more personal preference. As far as the boots go I have some OK ones from cabelas. $80 boots. Up till now they were ok for 3-4 day hunts but my feet are typically hurting pretty good at that point. My biggest issue is my feet sweat so bad, do you guys have any suggestions there? Danner pronghorns any good?
Really good wool socks have been my answer. In fact, wool is my answer to many of my clothing needs! At least for base and mid-layers. Worth every penny.

Good Goretex boots will breathe well. That said, my Danner Pronghorns do not breathe as well as my Meindls.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

jjenness

Very Active Member
Sep 30, 2011
Lewistown, MT
Sounds to me like your optics should fit the bill for your hunt, and what you have described as your hunting style. Razor's are nice, but not a must have in my opinion. I have used the Salomon boots for the last few years and they have been awesome. As far as clothes go it is completely a personal preference. I know guys who shoot their elk in blue jeans every year and they do just fine. Depending where you live, you are going to have a lot of money tied up just traveling to and from the area, and also the expenses of camping out. You start throwing in thousands of dollars in new upgraded gear, and you could run the potential of putting a lot of pressure on yourself which may take some of the fun out of the hunt. I know several guys that have drawn the 410 breaks tag, and the amount of money and preparation they spent for the hunt turned them into bears during the hunt because they had such high expectations and investment.
In my opinion you are better off deciding what caliber of bull you would be happy with, and then spend your time locating the bull that fits the bill and get it done from there. There is nothing like pulling a public land bull out with the knowledge and gear you use from year to year, and not getting caught up in the hype of a trophy tag. Good luck! Can't wait to see the pics this fall.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Not to sound overly simplistic but follow the KISS principle regardless of tag you draw.

1. Glass. Spend as much as you can afford. To me its a simple choice of three. High end European...buy last years models to save some coin. Mid grade glass......which usually does just fine or stick with what you have. I'm not familiar with the terrain there or style of hunting but in Colorado where I hunt I've found a spotting scope is not needed.

2. My feet sweat a lot also. I spend the extra money on good socks from Duluth trading company and hunt mostly Aug/Sep early Oct with two sets of boots in camp. Danner Pronghorns and a set of Kenetrek Bridger Highs.

I personally would be spending the bulk of my effort/spending/planning on the scouting and prep for the hunt. Allowing enough days prior to the opener to get into position and even more important knowing where they are gonna go if bumped by you or another hunter.

CForest

Nov 8, 2015
Richland MT
Appreciate all the good advice so far guys. That's exactly the stuff I was looking for. I live about 180 miles from the area, so I hope to make it down mid summer both by land and from water. As well as getting there early and staying as long as needed. I do have access to a river boat but not sure how i will want to approach the area just yet. My equipment has certainly done the job just fine in the past obviously. With a tag like this I just don't want my equipment to be the weakest link. But thanks for reminding me that even the best gear possible isn't going to find and take the bull I want!

Elk365

Apr 22, 2016
South Dakota
Your feet are a must. Like they say merino wool socks are great, they wick moisture and keep your feet dry and warm. I've hunted the breaks bow hunting for elk. Rifle hunting, I would suggest shooting sticks as a must. Get lightweight ones that you can fold and carry. Rangefinder for sure. I also purchased a badlands 2200 backpack. Now that I have it I can't believe I hunted with a cheap one all these years. Allows me to pack extra gear (spotting scope, Gps, extra socks, layering clothes, etc.) with no problem. Another switch I made was going from canvas meat bags to synthetic bags. Way lighter and easier to deal with. Make sure your boots are goretex. A must in my setup is also goretex pants and jacket. You'll be glad you have it on when the weather turns south and you're a long way from dry cover.

luckynv

Aug 3, 2014
Henderson, Nv
You may already be an excellent shot, however if not spend some money on ammo. Find the load that is most accurate in your gun and practice, practice, practice! It really does not matter if you have the latest whiz bang super magnum when crunch time comes if you have not spent time shooting and not just off a bench. I think you can rent spotters around the Yellowstone entrances if you feel the need to use the best spotter. Good luck and God bless

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
Sounds to me like your optics should fit the bill for your hunt, and what you have described as your hunting style. Razor's are nice, but not a must have in my opinion. I have used the Salomon boots for the last few years and they have been awesome. As far as clothes go it is completely a personal preference. I know guys who shoot their elk in blue jeans every year and they do just fine. Depending where you live, you are going to have a lot of money tied up just traveling to and from the area, and also the expenses of camping out. You start throwing in thousands of dollars in new upgraded gear, and you could run the potential of putting a lot of pressure on yourself which may take some of the fun out of the hunt. I know several guys that have drawn the 410 breaks tag, and the amount of money and preparation they spent for the hunt turned them into bears during the hunt because they had such high expectations and investment.
In my opinion you are better off deciding what caliber of bull you would be happy with, and then spend your time locating the bull that fits the bill and get it done from there. There is nothing like pulling a public land bull out with the knowledge and gear you use from year to year, and not getting caught up in the hype of a trophy tag. Good luck! Can't wait to see the pics this fall.
That's some pretty good advice JJ... I was running through my mind ideas but this is a very true statement. I've had a couple great tags, sheep and mt. goat, and the mental pressure can be really tough. And that's something you don't really prepare for.
I was going to go with cold weather stuff but if you're only 180 miles away, you'll know how to handle mid November's cold front we always get.
So my advice prepare mentally and enjoy yourself.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
for the most part what you need seems to be covered so my advice would be exercise and get yourself into the best shape you possibly can before your hunt. tough to kill and then get the elk out if you are out of shape.

PlainsHunter

Feb 29, 2012
Central MN
I upgraded my boots this spring and bought a pair of the Danner Pronghorn non-insulated boots and have been very happy with them. Have put about 30 miles on them so far. My feet stay cooler and drier than before

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
Prepare yourself mentally. Often hunts you've waited for for a long time seem like slam dunk hunts, many times they are not. Be ready to hunt every minute of the season, though the last day. Have a plan for recovery, it often takes a couple days to retrieve all the meat. As far as gear, the most important thing you can have is a rifle your confidant in. It doesn't have to shoot a mile, but you have to know what it and you are capable of without a doubt. When you find the bull your looking for you don't want to blow it when it's time to squeeze the trigger. Other gear is for comfort, the rifle is the most important piece of the puzzle IMO. I'm sure you have this covered.

Comfort gear: #1 take care of your feet. Have a couple pair if sock liners, buy some Seal Skin socks(in case your boots leak) have some comfortable boots. Be prepared for wet, nothing worse than wet and cold. Have good base layer. You don't need anything camo.

Glass, it's not hard to put horns on a big bull with average glass. If you need to know if it's a 330 or 340 from a mile away you may want something more. You can rent anything out there.

Have a blast and congrats on the tag!

Last edited:

MTSHARPSTICK

Apr 28, 2016
I would say, you already know what is needed to hunt the Breaks. I would be more concerned with a good spotting scope, for judging your trophy of a lifetime and having access to a side by side or tracked vehicle, for getting around, when the Breaks gets really messy. You want to be able to maximize your time there, regardless of the conditions

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Solid advice from jjenness and others. My only recommendation would be to have a spare rifle, that you trust, at camp in the event anything happened to your main. A second pair of boots at camp has also saved my feet on more than one occasion.

PlainsHunter

Feb 29, 2012
Central MN
Solid advice from jjenness and others. My only recommendation would be to have a spare rifle, that you trust, at camp in the event anything happened to your main.
+1 I slipped down a hill and banged my rifle one time and when I checked the zero it wouldn't hit paper at 100 yards. I switched to my backup rifle that I brought and continued to hunt with no real delays

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
When it comes down to it you have hunted the area before for cows. The big difference is that now you will be hunting one with antlers. You have the clothes, optics, rifle, and hopefully ammo. So now is the time to go after that bull, you really don't need anything new unless you really want to purchase it. Don't overthink or complicate it.