*** Elk Hunt Story Belt Buckle Underway***

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
Slowly getting there. Added some grasses and sage into the mix. Trying not to clutter the area around the elk to much.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
I will start working on the carving next week for the buckle. The outer edge, the Elk and all foliage will all be raised and there will be a very light grass texture in the background. Like in the drawing the Elk will be gold and the rest of the buckle will be Sterling silver. The raised areas high polished and the back ground darkened.

Justin if you would like something engraved on the back just PM what you would like. Mark

Last edited:

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
Ok started working on the belt buckle model today. This piece will be a combination of machining and hand carving.
Below is a photo of the beginning work. I have placed the machinable plastic in the CNC to bring the material to the specific size and tolerances.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
Started to machine the top of the buckle this morning. The top will take about 5 hours to do. Next I will flip it to do the back. The back will take another 5 hours. Then I will machine out the elk for the buckle. After all the machining is done I will start the hand carving and detail.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
Done for the day on the buckle. The base for the front is machined out. Tomorrow I will machine out the back and finish the art work for the Elk.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
I finished the artwork for the elk today and the program to rough it out. After it is roughed out I will start to do the detailed carving on the elk and the buckle itself. After that I will cast the buckle in Sterling Silver and the Elk in Gold. Once cast all that will be left is to clean and polish the two pieces assemble then put the buckle on the belt blank.

Looking better and better Mark. So what's the next step in the process?