*** Elk Hunt Story Belt Buckle Underway***

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
First off I would like to thank those that entered the Elk Hunt Story Belt Buckle Giveaway. It was my pleasure to do the ring last year and this year the Best Story winner had the choice of a Belt Buckle or a Ring. Justin (jjenness) was voted the winner from the forum members here and I want to congratulate him again for his story and photos.
I have talked with Justin and he decided to get the Sterling Silver and Gold Buckle made. We had a good talk and I received some great ideas for the buckle from our conversation. I received the Belt Blank and Eye Teeth from Justin and have started the process for making the buckle. I always try do something different as well as make something that reflects that particular hunt. I will post some photos like last year as the project progresses.
The first step was to come up with the outside shape for the buckle. Most buckles you see are oval but I thought that I would do something different for this particular project. Now that I have the base shape for the buckle I will start the artwork for the detail on the face of the buckle. This project will probably take a little longer due to the multiple parts it will take to complete.

Step1. Deciding on the base shape for the buckle is a interesting process and take multiple freehand drawings. After a few freehand drawing I did a basic drawing on the computer. This is the drawing I picked to be the finished base shape for Justin's buckle.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
Had a hour or so to sit down and work on the buckle a little this morning. Since we all know that the photo are of a downed Elk the only way to bring him back to life is to take different parts from all the photos and put them together for the final piece. This morning I chose a photo of Justin's Elk and worked on the horns as they are the most identifiable part of the Elk. A little preview below. Next will taking parts of different photos he sent me to complete the head and partial body of the animal.

Drawing of horns taken from this photo.

Last edited:

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
I went ahead and added the Ivories just to see what kind of space I will have to finish the drawings.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
Ok starting to lay in a little of the background taken from a few different photos Justin sent to me.