Elk General tag

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
Looking at the results for the points required for a general elk tag I am think I may be in no mans land. Current group I plan to hunt with. I will have 5 PP and the two others will have 4 PP going into next years draw. So that would average 4.33 PP. It looks like we could be below the line for a few more years. The cost just continues to increase and I am wondering if it is worth the expense.

I also know if you don't enter you will never draw a tag. The whole idea behind PP was so you could plan for a hunt and know you will draw a tag. The big question is to quit the PP game and just hope to pull a tag in the random draw. I know for sure after my current PP are used that will be the end of buying PP. I also think I may stop buying any PP and just let them run out after they fall off.

So do you guys think the PP game is dead? I am thinking it may take us up to 8 or 9 PP points to even draw a general tag if things continue on its current course.
9 to 10 years invested and not even a LQ hunt.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
The PP game will never die. There is too much money in it to kill that beast.

Apply Apply Apply Apply Apply Apply Apply Apply Apply.

Or just sit back and build points and wait for the time to apply with the hopes that a bunch of people don't jump in on the unit you're chasing. I'm sitting at 9 points. I will likely wait until I can draw the LQ type 9 tag I want and then be done with it. Seeing a lot of people jump out of the points game. Can't say I blame them.

The real wildcard will be the increase in costs for the special license next year.....thats going to be interesting for sure. I will likely sit back and watch it unfold.

Might be worth your time applying for the special draw general next year. Just saying. I predict that it will go for a lot less points 3-4 due to the increase in price. At least for 1 year anyhow....

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
I'll always continue to get points for the states I apply in. Having them is better than wishing you did.

My buddies from ND drew their 3rd bull tags in the past 4 years by applying smartly and using their points to their advantage. One year they drew bull tags on second choice, failed to draw last year, and burned their 2 points this year and drew in the preference draw again.

There are always going to be some hidden gems that may not require max points, either areas flying under the radar, changes to tag numbers, all sorts of things where even a couple points make a gigantic difference. Even some full priced cow tags may be worth burning a point or two on if you want to elk. Personally, I'd rather hunt elk than sitting on the couch waiting. If that means cow tags, so be it.

Probably shouldn't even post this, but IMO/E, having points is always better than not having them.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Looking at the results for the points required for a general elk tag I am think I may be in no mans land. Current group I plan to hunt with. I will have 5 PP and the two others will have 4 PP going into next years draw. So that would average 4.33 PP. It looks like we could be below the line for a few more years. The cost just continues to increase and I am wondering if it is worth the expense.

I also know if you don't enter you will never draw a tag. The whole idea behind PP was so you could plan for a hunt and know you will draw a tag. The big question is to quit the PP game and just hope to pull a tag in the random draw. I know for sure after my current PP are used that will be the end of buying PP. I also think I may stop buying any PP and just let them run out after they fall off.

So do you guys think the PP game is dead? I am thinking it may take us up to 8 or 9 PP points to even draw a general tag if things continue on its current course.
9 to 10 years invested and not even a LQ hunt.
You have a few options imo.

#1- You can apply regular and let them apply special- good chance you all draw next year.

#2- You guys make an agreement to go on two elk hunts. Once for you next year and again when the other two guys draw in a few years. Agree to help each other and split them meat.

#3- Think outside the box like Buzz mentions above... you guys can be hunting elk next year on a great cow tag or a limited point bull hunt. Glad to discuss some options privately if you are interested.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
Hilltop Thanks for the information. Those are some options I have not considered. The two other guys are my son and my regular hunting buddy. Not sure either will be willing to pay special price with the increase. My buddy has gone on several hunts with me just tagging along for the trip so that is a good option. Maybe he could try and draw a cow tag. I can see a lot of research in a new direction in the future.

Reactions: Hilltop