Elk Decoy

TN911

Jun 6, 2018
Missouri
Thinking about buying a Montana decoy for my archery elk hunt in September. Would anyone like to share their experience using elk decoys? Are they worth packing around?

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I watched one blow over from the wind one time and scare the living crap out of a cow elk that was walking right up to it.

True story. I looked over at my buddy and he was laughing so hard he was grabbing his ribs.

I figure that cow though she was charging or something.

I guess you had to be there. lol

Reactions: TN911

TN911

Jun 6, 2018
Missouri
Lol I have had similar things happen with turkey decoys. I am stuck between buying a heads up decoy or the Montana.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Thinking about buying a Montana decoy for my archery elk hunt in September. Would anyone like to share their experience using elk decoys? Are they worth packing around?
hell no!!!!!!!!!!!!

not saying they won't or can't ever help but they are totally unecesary and only a fool packs that kind of extra weight on an elk hunt if it is not needed

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Fool #1 checking in. Montana decoy :)

I've flashed it at 3 bulls that were 400-500 yards away in a group....flash meaning moved it around a little behind some low scrub bushes slowly to show movement. All the bulls split up and tried to be sneaky and come directly to it from three different angles. I didn't call once. that was pre rut. Thats the most extreme thing that has happened.

Its great when hunting alone archery. I set it up 40-50 yards behind me then only call away from the approaching bull directing the sound back at the decoy. If you buy in to the hear you , see you, smell you way the animals act........a flash of one of these more times than not (with good wind) will prevent them from circling downwind when they don't see anything but hear the call.

No stakes. I put a loop of para cord on its back so I can hang it off a tree if needed. I've found though that just hanging or motionless doesn't work as well. Induce some movement with wind, or just lift it up and slide it left or right to simulate feeding movement. then lay it on the ground. Just my 2 sense. Take it for what its worth.

If I'm by myself and archery hunting one is on my pack. (40oz)

bowrunner

Oct 13, 2015
Illinois
Thanks for the experience slugs. I have two decoys. I have a heads up and a Montana cow decoy and have never used them, but I am planning on trying them this year in Wyoming.

Reactions: Slugz

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Decoys work. Whether it's worth it for someone to pack them is a personal decision. We have had elk come on a string ignoring wind at times but it doesn't always work that way. Like anything, there are other factors. I can say I have seen guys pack them for miles and never even try to use them. A lot of the people I hunt with use them only in certain situations so they rarely come out of the pack. My lifelong best friend is one of them but he does have a nice bull on the wall that was completely fooled in the wide open by one.

TN911

Jun 6, 2018
Missouri
Thanks guys. I am going to try to heads up decoy. I feel like this might be a happy medium since it will be easiest to pack. Better to have and not need than to need and not have!

Reactions: Slugz