Elk cow calls: Imaka da bull crazy? What do you guys use?

dhershberger

Jul 28, 2011
NM
I've been trying to find a great sounding cow elk call and I was wondering if you guys had any really good recommendations. I've heard that the Imaka da Bully crazy call is really good and can make a wide variety of cow sounds. Is there a huge difference between the long range Imaka da bull crazy call and the regular Imaka da bull crazy call? Thanks for the info!!!

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
I have the Imaka da bull crazy cow call and it sounds ok, I like the sound of the hyperlip alot better, it just sounds more nasally to me! But I also like to carry a variety of cow calls, because a bull may not answer one call but may hammer another for some reason. I think as long as you can work the call right and make it sound good you will be alright.

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
I've been trying to find a great sounding cow elk call and I was wondering if you guys had any really good recommendations. I've heard that the Imaka da Bully crazy call is really good and can make a wide variety of cow sounds. Is there a huge difference between the long range Imaka da bull crazy call and the regular Imaka da bull crazy call? Thanks for the info!!!
I love mine... I worked a herd bull for 45 minutes at 60 yards. Finally a smaller 6 pt satellite just had to come check it out and I closed the deal at 6 yards. I guess that would make you love any call:)

trophyhill

Feb 24, 2011
Tijeras, NM
other than diaphragms i have 2 favorites. the Carltons Fightin Cow and Bugling Bulls Temptress. both great calls with 2 different but distinct sounds.

jay

Mar 10, 2011
TriCountyNM
I got the IDBC with the subscription from eastmans. I've messed with it around the house and seems to have a few options that should work if used properly. A friend used one last season on a bull hunt we were on and it seemed to work to get responses but not to pull the herd bull away from his girls. I think like ruttin stated, if you use a few different calls its more effective.

hardcore09

Apr 30, 2011
Montana
I have both imaka da bull crazy calls the only difference is the long range one is much louder and really can't make it to quite, I personally dont use that one i like the original one much better! I like to have quite a variety of cow calls, the hyper lip by primos and Whos Yrr Daddy by Bugling Bull Game Co. are my two favorites right now. Try some out and see what works for you, Good Luck!!

sjsmallfield

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Jackson, CA
My experience with open reed calls (elk or predator) seems to be that they all sound different to the person using it. I would try multiple calls and pick the ones that sound best to you and your calling. My friend and I both have alot of the same calls and we both sound differend on the same call. Hope this helps. Good luck!

Jon Boy

Apr 13, 2011
Billings, MT
I have the regular one and I love it. I cant seem to get a very good sound out of the hyper lip. Like mentioned before it depends on the person

elkcntryblaser

Jan 7, 2012
wisconsin
I use a combination of calls. I think the key is to sound like you have a few cows in your area. I use two sceery game calls and a hoochie mama. The mini sceery is my favorite. I make it sound like a few cows as I approach, then I let a bugle go to get the bulls thinking thers a bull in the way.. I use two bugles,, primos pack bugle and primos baffle bugle. Give sceery a try I think you will be impressed.

trophyhill

Feb 24, 2011
Tijeras, NM
View attachment 2510
+1 trophyhill on the temptress! Great sounding call. Its the most realistic bit and blow cow call Ive ever heard.

http://www.elk101.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=28&products_id=276&zenid=81bg40tcsu11i9lkk04aqdvbs7
IMHO, (and i've only been hunting elk for 4 years now) Bugling Bulls hit a grand slam with the Temptress. i bought 2. since it is not available locally here i am going to buy a few more and give to a couple of my friends that never get on any of the forums. so they simply don't know about the call. i'm gonna get a total of 5. 1 more for me cuz i gave 1 to my good friend GSelkhunter and 1 each to 4 of my friends of which 2 are guides in northern NM. I would almost bet that these 2 guides will call in more bulls next year than all the other guides for this outfit once they start using this call. and they might not tell those other guides what call they are using either lol.

trophyhill

Feb 24, 2011
Tijeras, NM
I use a combination of calls. I think the key is to sound like you have a few cows in your area. I use two sceery game calls and a hoochie mama. The mini sceery is my favorite. I make it sound like a few cows as I approach, then I let a bugle go to get the bulls thinking thers a bull in the way.. I use two bugles,, primos pack bugle and primos baffle bugle. Give sceery a try I think you will be impressed.
i have 2 Sceery Ace 1 calls and they do have their place (i have 2 because once saliva builds up you need to let the call dry out some) as does the Hoochie but neither call has the versatility that i am looking for. the Ace 1 is made right here in NM i think. i have called in a number of mulie does while elk hunting with the Ace 1 lol. i've had to throw rocks at them to get them to leave the area. but as i said they do have their place but not my #1. but thats just me.

elkmtngear

Feb 21, 2011
I started with a Sceery bite and blow type call years ago, then I picked up a Knight and Hale open reed call, which I probably used for at
least 10 Seasons.

We had great success with the Knight and Hale until about 3 Seasons ago; my gut feeling, is that with the increase of hunters using open reed type calls, elk in our public land area were becoming educated, and exercising extreme caution when responding to calls.

This Season, I am probably going to be using diaphragm calls mostly, and limiting my calling in general. My current favorite is "the Closer" from Elknut Outdoors. Hopefully, I will get an opportunity to use it with the "Li'l Chuckler" bugle tube on a herd bull.

Best of Luck,
Jeff