Elk Bratwurst Questions

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Does anyone make it? Recommendations? We normally have steaks, ground plain elk, ground chorizo sausage, summer sausage, jerky and snack sticks. I'm going to the Rockys opener today and some of the gotta try best sellers is apparently Elk Bratwurst. So it got me thinking why not make some. We normally only made brats out of those sage eating speedboats. Thanks.

SGM

Apr 19, 2016
Canon City Colorado
I have made lots of elk and deer Bratwurst and they are great. I like the High Mountain brand mix but that up to your choice. You can use beef or pork fat but my family likes the brats much better if made with pork. Our meat to fat ratio is 7 pounds of meat with 5 pounds of fat. Maybe not the healthiest but really tasty.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I can't bring myself to use elk to make any of the "cover up" type of meat snacks. Elk is just too good to me to cover up the flavor. I use deer to make sausage, jerky, brats, and sticks. Doe tags are fairly easy for me to come by but an elk tag is every other year if I'm lucky...

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
If you want to smoke them put some cure in the mix. We make all kinds of brats and sausage you need to add some pork. We buy our seasoning from a sausage maker we like.
Luckily the two of us can harvest up to 6 elk total , as residents with access to cow hunting, plenty of meat for sausage making.

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
https://www.himtnjerky.com/Sausage-Kits/

Absolutely the best and easiest way to make your own brats. The comment above about adding pork is vital... game meat alone will make a brat that is so dry you can't eat it. The recommended blend of meat to fat is 70/30 but some folks go 60/40... I stick with the recommendation. I do not smoke the brats, just freeze them as a true bratwurst is not smoked. If you want smoky flavor with your brats then cook them on Traeger type grill, otherwise boil them in Beer and then grill them hot and fast to sear the casing.

Serve with a nice spicy brown mustard and sauerkraut and enjoy.

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
I use 50/50 wild game and pork butt. There’s more meat than fat on the pork butt, so it gets the flavor without getting greasy. Don’t skimp on the fat though, you’ll regret it later. The first time I made sausage, I did 1/3 pork and 2/3 venison, and it was too dry

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
I've never made elk brats myself but always have some made whenever I get a cow elk. They are delicious! I also have spicy Italian sausage made. It is equally delicious.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
I use 50/50 wild game and pork butt. There’s more meat than fat on the pork butt, so it gets the flavor without getting greasy. Don’t skimp on the fat though, you’ll regret it later. The first time I made sausage, I did 1/3 pork and 2/3 venison, and it was too dry
The one time I tried to make breakfast sausage using ground venison that only had about 15% fat content, it was terrible. While it tasted like sausage the texture was dry and crumbly. Obviously there is a reason sausage has a fairly high fat content.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I made some out of mule deer. Never made them out of elk.

I can honestly say that I didn't like them. They turned out waaaaay to dry. I didn't feel like I overcooked them at all.

IF and that a big IF I was ever to make them again I would add a LOT of fat to the mix for sure. 50/50 probably.