Elk area 9 Deer area 76 Rifle

JPSeveland

Jun 8, 2014
Cheyenne Wyoming
I am new to wyomings hunting area and honestly just trying to figure out how the system works here. I am interested in taking my wife and brother in law to these areas to hunt deer and elk in early october. does anyone have any prefrence on the are or what would be a good respectable buck or elk for this area. Thank you.

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
I assume you are talking about the 2015 season because you won't be able to hunt there this year. It's a General tag for elk and will have a lot of people in the NF because of that. It's a Region D tag to hunt that unit as a NR and both tags will need at least 1PP to have close to 100% chance at the tags, so buy a PP before 9/30 if you don't have any and if you only have 1PP I'd buy another one this year to make sure you get the tags for 2015. Also, be aware that at the present time there is a 3 point antler restriction on one side for a mulie because the deer herd is not doing well down there just like a lot of other areas.

Last edited:

ssliger

Very Active Member
Mar 9, 2011
Laramie WY
Elk hunting can be good, the deer hunting is poor. They are having meetings right now on what to do in the future. I am a resident so don't have to worry about points, 76 is a general license for residents. I would not waste points on the area for deer. If you really want to go you can send me a pm once you figure out what you are doing.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Tags for 2014 I believe are all gone. I agree with sslinger. I am from Laramie and get up there often. I wouldn't consider hunting deer up there at all until maybe 2016. The elk hunting pressure can get pretty bad in easy to access areas. Realistic expectations for a bull? If you hunt hard, you may get an opportunity at a smaller bull. A few newer to the area get lucky and shoot a decent 5. I rarely have seen a good 6 point taken. I have also seen many locals hunt all season and not fill their tag... The benefits to the area is that there are a lot of roads making access pretty easy. The terrain is generally easy to navigate but you can get into steep, rugged terrain if you want. IMO, area 9 isn't the best choice for a general tag.

wyohunter1

May 5, 2012
Tags for 2014 I believe are all gone. I agree with sslinger. I am from Laramie and get up there often. I wouldn't consider hunting deer up there at all until maybe 2016. The elk hunting pressure can get pretty bad in easy to access areas. Realistic expectations for a bull? If you hunt hard, you may get an opportunity at a smaller bull. A few newer to the area get lucky and shoot a decent 5. I rarely have seen a good 6 point taken. I have also seen many locals hunt all season and not fill their tag... The benefits to the area is that there are a lot of roads making access pretty easy. The terrain is generally easy to navigate but you can get into steep, rugged terrain if you want. IMO, area 9 isn't the best choice for a general tag.
How about unit 9 for archery elk? Still a lot of hunters, and not many elk?

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
How about unit 9 for archery elk? Still a lot of hunters, and not many elk?
My last elk was a 5x5 bull taken with archery in this area. It isn't over run with archery hunters but there is some pressure. I wouldn't call the population bad or good. The elk are really spread out so at times your really in them and then you may not see any for a day or two. It is an OK hunt with easy access and some elk. I think if you are a really good hunter you can shoot a bull every year but if you care about antler size you will eat tag soup most years IMO. If you don't mind harvesting a rag horn you stand an ok chance at tagging if you put your work in. I think your best opportunities may be in the harder to reach areas like Hell's Canyon and off Centennial Ridge but weather can play a roll there. If your adventurous, Sheep Mountain (wilderness) also holds elk but there is no road access at all up the mountain. Again, I think there are better areas now that I have ventured out more. Growing up, I was limited on where I could go due to finances and friends camps.