elk 13 deer 81 Ryan wildfire

lostriverproductions

Dec 27, 2011
Goshen IN
Anyone been in this unit recently? I plan to be their the second week in Oct with a cow elk tag. Was planning to hunt the SE section, but looks like they have closed about 50% of the unit due to the wild fire. Need to make new plans now I guess.

Ricochet

Feb 1, 2012
Sherwood, Oregon
I have a deer tag for 81. Fish and game is supposed to release so information this afternoon. If no refund we will all be crammed in the little area that is left. I'm not even sure the open area has any deer.

HighPlainsHunter

Mar 1, 2018
Laramie
It rained this morning in Laramie so hopefully they got some moisture as well. Was really bad over the weekend with ash falling in town. Hopefully the cooler temps this week will help but it was sure raging this weekend.

I read on Hunt Talk that they are giving refunds for deer tags.

highplainsdrifter

Very Active Member
May 4, 2011
Wyoming
Anyone been in this unit recently? I plan to be their the second week in Oct with a cow elk tag. Was planning to hunt the SE section, but looks like they have closed about 50% of the unit due to the wild fire. Need to make new plans now I guess.
I am very familiar with this area. If you plan to hunt the SE half, I'd say forget it. You might be okay in the NW part.

Since area 13 is small, and the fire is encompassing much of it, maybe G&F will offer license refunds if the fire continues into rifle season...which I expect it will unless we get a lot of moisture.

lostriverproductions

Dec 27, 2011
Goshen IN
Talked with the WY biologist yesterday, and got an email about possibly getting a refund on my 13-6 tag. Refund isn't guaranteed since its a six week season. I'm going to watch the fire and see what it does. Hopefully some of those areas open up, but if not may just roll the dice and try my luck in the remainder of the unit. I'm not putting in for a refund.

I have never hunted around a place that has recently burned, how does it effect the animals around the burn area? I imagine it depends on smoke and heat? Just wondering how far one should stay away from a recently burned area, or say in two weeks after it burned would animals be back around the area or pass through it?

Mnbogboy

Aug 19, 2018
Hibbing, MN
I've plowed furrows all night long in big fires in WI (1977, 1980 etc.) . Come daylight, fresh whitetail tracks all over back in the burned area. The animals should be back soon. Concentrate on the un-burned areas within the fire boundries (if any). They will still use these for cover. All, of course, depending on how far they will have to travel for food.
IMHO

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Next few seasons will be good in these areas; fresh feed will spring up from the ashes and the game will take advantage of it; unf active fire isn't helpful right now. Be safe out there.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

jtm307

Jan 12, 2016
Wyoming
These recent burns will definitely NOT be my go to hunting spots for the next several years. The hunting will be HORRIBLE. There will be NO ELK anywhere near them. :)

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
These recent burns will definitely NOT be my go to hunting spots for the next several years. The hunting will be HORRIBLE. There will be NO ELK anywhere near them. :)
Head south to the PRC.

Peoples Republic of Colorado

(little joke!) [emoji38]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk