Eastmans' Mule Deer Hunter Course

lukew

Administrator
Jul 1, 2019
Hey guys! We are kicking around the idea of doing a mule deer hunter course. We want your feedback on a few questions we have.

What is your biggest draw back when hunting mule deer?

What about mule deer hunting do you want to know about?

When hunting mule deer, are you hunting with a rifle or bow?

What state are you from? What states do you typically hunt in?

Reactions: Ikeepitcold

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Sounds like a cool idea. Is this going to be an online thing?
We will be doing it all, but think of this as the next step for a guy who did all the research and wants to capitalize on his tag. Especially if you waited years to do it this will be something that helps the mule deer hunter get it done on a hard to draw tag and then keep building year after year to kill more big deer.

Reactions: Ikeepitcold

OKLAHUNTER

Mar 9, 2011
Oklahoma
This would be great! I use Onyx to try and find spots I think deer will be but because I’m not from the west(Okla) I’m not sure if these are good places. I rifle hunt Colorado and have points in Wyoming. Just haven’t had much luck in the past locating deer. How long do you give an area when on a 5-10 day hunt? Thanks!

Reactions: ScottR

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The biggest problem that I have seen is hunters trying to hunt mule deer like they would whitetails. They try to pattern them and while that will work for a while it will get blown up quickly once that deer is bumped. And it usually doesn't take much to bump them. The last huge mule deer bucks that I bumped headed out of the area and into their safe spot, a canyon that I have hunted but it is very rough getting into and out of.

OKLAHUNTER

Mar 9, 2011
Oklahoma
The biggest problem that I have seen is hunters trying to hunt mule deer like they would whitetails. They try to pattern them and while that will work for a while it will get blown up quickly once that deer is bumped. And it usually doesn't take much to bump them. The last huge mule deer bucks that I bumped headed out of the area and into their safe spot, a canyon that I have hunted but it is very rough getting into and out of.
How far did they travel to that canyon?

4XBOWHUNTER

Sep 26, 2018
Wisconsin
Hey guys! We are kicking around the idea of doing a mule deer hunter course. We want your feedback on a few questions we have.

What is your biggest draw back when hunting mule deer?

What about mule deer hunting do you want to know about?

When hunting mule deer, are you hunting with a rifle or bow?

What state are you from? What states do you typically hunt in?
Sounds like an interesting concept, sorry I'm late to the party but will give my .02 worth. Is this still active?

Knowing what to look for when both e-scouting and miles in.
How to hunt them, this may be laughable to some, but I honestly have only stumbled on them when I have seen them, never been able to look at terrain and say I'm going to glass this and will see MD.
Bow
Wi and typically Co & Neb looking to move to Western hunts as work allows.

lukew

Administrator
Jul 1, 2019
Sounds like an interesting concept, sorry I'm late to the party but will give my .02 worth. Is this still active?

Knowing what to look for when both e-scouting and miles in.
How to hunt them, this may be laughable to some, but I honestly have only stumbled on them when I have seen them, never been able to look at terrain and say I'm going to glass this and will see MD.
Bow
Wi and typically Co & Neb looking to move to Western hunts as work allows.
Still taking feedback as always! Thank you for the comment man!

swampokie

Veteran member
Jul 29, 2013
Haworth Oklahoma
I’ll be hunting the muzz season sept 11-19 in west central Colorado. I have never hunted mulies this early. The unit I’m in is lower elevation (6000-8500 ft) sage oak brush juniper with mesas and lots of steep canyons. What will be the deers preferred habitat during mid sept as the velvet peels. I understand water will be important but other than that I’m still lost. Thanks

Reactions: lukew

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I’ll be hunting the muzz season sept 11-19 in west central Colorado. I have never hunted mulies this early. The unit I’m in is lower elevation (6000-8500 ft) sage oak brush juniper with mesas and lots of steep canyons. What will be the deers preferred habitat during mid sept as the velvet peels. I understand water will be important but other than that I’m still lost. Thanks
Heavier cover and travel corridors. Be prepared to glass and then glass some more. In tight country like that you will need to hunti tight too, you are looing for small movements, ears, tips of antlers, etc.

You will have fun, that is my favorite time frame to hunt big bucks.

Reactions: swampokie

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
If you are going to be in 31 check out the pockets of quaken aspen that are left also any area that has oaks left over after the fire.

For 32 I would hunt the areas where the aspens and oaks come together

Reactions: swampokie

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
When it comes down to it with mule deer you just never know where you are going to find them.

When I first started muzzle loader hunting unit 31 we ran into a number of real nice bucks right up on the top in the brush and when we jumped them they headed down into the cedars. I ended up shooting at a nice 4 pt in a group of aspens and thought that I had missed him. Come to find out my partner shot him the next day and we found where a bullet had grazed his back.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
He was in the exact same spot.

After I grazed him I went up the trail a bit and missed a nice 4x4. I went back to the cabin and got rid of the bullets that I was shooting and resighted in with round balls. I went back and shot a nice 2x2.

The next day while I was taking care of my deer my buddy went up on top and missed 4 or 5 shots. I met him coming down the trail as I was going up. He was headed back to resight in his rifle with round balls. When we went back he said that the next buck that he saw he was going to shoot it in the rear. Well, we came around the corner and there that buck was standing. He got off of his wheeler and sat down, I was watching through my binoculars as he pulled the trigger. I told him that I couldn't believe it, he asked me if he hit it. I said that he did, right where he said he was going to. Right in the rear.

We went after him and found him standing up on a hill about 30 yards away. He pulled up and took another shot and the buck went down. He left his rifle with the ATV and hiked up to the buck. I could see that he was still alive so I told him to cut it's throat and I would hold his head down. Well, he pulled out his dull knife and went to cut the throat but that buck had a different idea. He got back up as I was holding onto the antlers. My buddy was now down the hill at his ATV getting his rifle. I wondered what I could do so I just hip tossed the buck down the hill. I got to it again and rolled him down the hill again where my buddy could finish him off.

When we were skinning him we found that his first shot had hit the right rear ham and instead of penetrating it blew down the skin and came out at the knee. In all probability if he hadn't stopped where he did to watch us he would of survived.

It always seam that when the two of us get together we always have a adventure one way or another. I could write a book on some of the situations that we have gotten into while hunting together.