Eastmans' Mule Deer Hunter Course

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
Candidly, my biggest drawback is finding them. I hunt rifle in CO but because of work schedule am often having to hunt earlier seasons. My deer experience was with whitetail until recently, and muleys are obviously different. I run into tons of doe and small bucks while scouting for other game, but much less often in actual hunting seasons. It probably doesn't help that so far my only easy outings to schedule were Rifle 2 or 3, that doughnut hole in Colorado between archery and the rut.

This year I have a muzzleloader tag and I'm hoping that'll change some things. We'll see. It's unit 29, which isn't exactly a premium unit, but it happened to overlap a family camping trip so two birds one stone, right?

Not to shill, but hey this is the place to do it, I've definitely found Mike Eastman's Hunting High Country Mule Deer to be a helpful guide.

Reactions: 4XBOWHUNTER

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I have been hunting deer since I was old enough to get a tag (age 12 in California). Almost all have been mule deer. This year will be my 67th season. I have no idea how many tags I have filled, I am sure it is well over 100.

When I am hunting, I can almost feel it when I am going to see deer. I just know where they are going to be. If you pay attention and remember the details such as time of day, weather, available sign, feed and water and type of country you are hunting, your odds will get a lot better. Sure there are a lot of differences in above timberline, mid altitude trees/brush, lower big brush and desert country. Stay with your basics and you can narrow it down a lot.

Keep a log or diary of your hunting and it can pay dividends later.

Last edited:

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Ditto on the logbook (diary) CC. I have kept one for most of my trips since I was 17. I am hunting elk in a CO unit that I haven't hunted since 2009, and I was able to review the log of that hunt, plus the two scouting trips that I did. Memory is fickle, and it is easy to confuse multiple outings into one experience. Weather notes, camp options, gear that works and doesn't, food, etc.